what wireless access point do I need if any

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-06-13 18:29:16
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : Talktalk

Hello all, I have been trying to set up a wifi connection to my office in my garden. I have purchased a TP-Link Archer AC1750 router and the TP-Link TL-ANT2414A directional antenna hoping to achieve this. My garden office is 300 metres from my house, but in line of site, but so far I have been unable to make a connection, in fact my office computer does not see my home network. Do I need a Wireless Access Point or some sort of receiver at my garden office end to make a connection or can some one offer me some sound advice on what I need to do to solve this problem. Both my computers are running Windows 7 ultimate. Many thanks in anticipation.
Kind regards from Lincolnshire
Greggers
Options
7 Reply
Re:what wireless access point do I need if any
2014-06-16 18:29:59
Hello fotodamaris,
many thanks for your reply, forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure of what you are telling me, is a 7210 some thing that I have to plug into my Archer C7 or my Talktalk DSL2580 . This is a subject I have no experience in so every thing is new to me (as well as bewildering)
Kind regards
G
Options
2014-06-18 16:48:06
Hello fotodamaris, many thanks for your reply. I have ordered a WA7210N and it should be with me on Thursday.
As the Archer C7 that I have is of no use in this set up, could you advise on a suitable modem/router to work with the 7210 also what I need for the receiving side.
many thanks
regards
G.
Options
2014-06-19 00:26:50
my main router is the one supplied by Talktalk which is a D-Link 2680 which I would think is a basic kind of modem router and not capable of anything other than getting me on the net. I was advised to replace it with a N type router to be able to extent my wifi connection to my office in my garden, so I do need to replace the D-Link, but this time with with some thing that will be compatible with what I am trying to achieve. I have downloaded the tutorial and will study it tonight. Many thanks for your time and patience.
Kind regards
G
Options
2014-06-27 17:37:10
After a long and some times frustrating week I have finally managed to get my garden office on line, I had a decent signal a few days ago and it was telling me I was connected, but when I tried to go on I kept getting the message failed to load the page.It was not until yesterday that I discovered that Microsoft Security Essentials was running (un be known to me) and was preventing me going on line.I am pleased to say I now have a usable signal . My sincere apologies for the long wait since your last thread
Kind regards
G
Options
2014-06-28 16:18:58
you are right about essentials, I have just tried to get online and all I get is the message that the page will not load, which is what I was experiencing earlier in the week., so stopping M.S.E. must have been a coincidence , I have (or at least I think I have ) attached screen shots of what the signal strength and status of the network is, which to me seems ok , am I missing some thing or is it a problem outside of the network set up. would very much appreciate your advice.
Kind regards
G

Options
2014-06-29 18:41:59
I have re-checked all my device IP addresses and they are all in the same sub net ie 192.168.1.1.,.2, .3, .4, .5, .6 etc. The network adapter I was using was the TP-LINK WN8200 ND which as you pointed out has a speed of 300Mps, so I changed it for a TP-LINK WN3200 600N and I got a connection straight away. The signal strength was not great (it varied between 2 and 3 bars ) but good enough to get me on line. The only conclusion I can draw is that the 8200 has a fault of some kind ( purchased from Amazon on the 13th June 14 ) I will have to get some one else to test it to find out if it happens on another machine. The annoying part is I have been scratching my head for almost the past 2 weeks wondering where I have gone wrong in the set up. Obviously I would like to improve the signal strength, can you offer any advice on what I would need to do or what equipment I would need to do it. Many thanks for you help and guidance not to mention patience.
Kind regards
G
Options
2014-07-01 01:43:30
I have attached a network map of my system.The Archer C7 was sent back for refund as suggested in post 4. My apologies for not letting you know the outcome but with the purchase of the 7210 and and trying to sort it out, it was omitted from my next post. The 7210 was set to AP mode and placed on the Gable end of my house. My computer in the Log Cabin did not see the network so I used an adapter as mentioned in post 8, which picked it up but gave me connection problems until I changed it for the 3200. The network is now running fine, although the signals are a little weak at times on the 2.4 band (I am not using the 5 Ghz band
regards G

)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 843

Replies: 7

Related Articles