DHCP Client lookups on WDR4300

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-07 21:11:00
Region : Germany

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.33 Build 130617 Rel.46239n

ISP :

From earlier routers and modems I am used to the fact that the router's DNS will register all of the DHCP clients.
So doing an nslookup on one of those clients should work, but it doesn't. I have set a Default domain on the router
and am also using that domain on my Windows 8.1 PC.

ID Client Name MAC Address Assigned IP Lease Time
6 dm8000 XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX 192.168.1.106

That's a typical DHCP client entry. However, "dm8000" and "dm8000.local.lan" both can't be resolved. Why is that?
Options
3 Reply
Same problem Archer C7
2014-07-10 21:43:08
I have this exact same problem with my Archer C7. I already asked the Dutch servicedesk of TP-Link about this problem, they said they would forward it to the firmware developers. (Now just hope that they really do).

It is such a simple and trivial feature, but so crucial for everyday use if approaching hosts within the LAN.
Options
Re:DHCP Client lookups on WDR4300
2014-07-24 06:29:45
Yeah, it's a very basic feature and it's the first time I am missing it. All of the hardware I have used before and that was running a DHCP server had it.
I doubt that it will be added if it is not yet part of the firmware. :(
Options
Re:DHCP Client lookups on WDR4300
2014-07-24 23:47:03
The helpdesk stated that the developers might implement it if there is enough demand. (So if you miss it: please also post on the forum!)

It should also be trivial to implement, since the DHCP server already has all the hostnames (they show up in the dhcp client list).
So with a simple change to the DNS server (probably even only a configfile-change) they could solve it.

For now, it is extremely irritating to manually update all the time all host-entries while on the LAN to the IP-address, and back again to a domainname when on the road, since it also prevents a FQDN-resolve of the specified local domain. :(
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 668

Replies: 3

Related Articles