TL-WA830-RE in AP mode not providing DNS info to clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-26 19:47:20
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have TL-WA830-RE v2 3.13.26 build 21008 Rel61364n running as an AP in Smart IP mode. It is connected to an ADSL modem-router via utp cable.
Config:
• Ip address 192.168.0.254
• Subnet 255.255.255.0
• Gateway 0.0.0.0
• DHCP is disabled

What works: DHCP ip allocation working OK, wireless working OK.

What does not work: wireless clients are not getting DNS set correctly, even though the modem-router is providing DNS information to its client (including the TL-WA830-RE).

However if I manually set a DNS on one of the wireless clients (eg Win7 laptop), I can browse the internet fine through the TL-WA830-RE

Clients wired directly to the modem-router pick up DNS OK. Why does the TL-WA830-RE not pass DNS info to its wireless clients? Frustrating!

Thanks
Options
1 Reply
Timing!
2014-07-27 09:42:57
although this didn't work yesterday, when I came to try again today, the wireless clients worked fine. It looks like there is a timing delay? Or maybe themodem-router rebooted overnight and that enabled the ap to get the info?

[update]
So we've now discovered that having this device operate as an AP in Smart IP mode on an existing modem-router with its own DHCP server on the 10.1 network was causing chaos on our home network because both the AP and the M-R were serving up DHCP addresses; this didn't make sense given that the WA830 DHCP server was disabled - but that's what the network diagnostics told us.

We then setup the WA830 AP with a static ip on 10.1.1.253 and disabled Smart IP mode. Its now working tickety-boo and reliably.

The learning? Don't assume the doco is perfect. Lacking confidence, I needed confirmation from a more experienced person that my gut sense I should use a static IP on the AP was in fact the right choice, even though the doco seems to suggest using Smart IP is OK.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 1