Long delay in DHCP request using Multi SSID with VLANS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-08-03 19:55:12 - last edited 2022-12-29 10:00:46
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Firmware: 3.14.8 Build 130828 Rel.63678n
Hardware: WA901ND v3 00000000

Setup: Multi SSID, using two vlans (201 and 202). Ethercable directly on a PA-200 firewall from Palo Alto Networks. The PA firewall is running two DHCP servers for both VLANS a separate one with different ip-ranges. The aim is to setup a guest Wifi for visitors and to isolate them that they only can use internet.

Issue: Connection is fast to both SSID's however, using this vlan setup will have a long delay before the dhcp request is answered and an ip is provided to the device. In 95% it will timeout resulting in (169.254.....) , I'm talking minutes here. In some cases it works, but more often it times-out, on various devices.

Changing one vlan back to vlan 1 and adjusting the truck port on my firewall will have a setup that is working like a normal AP is. Additional I did check the firewall if the request is received and that's not the case so I'm doubting the TP-link if it's working as suppose to.

Does anyone has some experience in this area?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Long delay in DHCP request using Multi SSID with VLANS
2014-08-04 09:12:27
Some particular DHCP servers will ignore “unicast flag” in client DHCP requests, and broadcast all DHCP packets to respond to all client messages.
Sometimes this will cause a compatibility issue.
You should contact TP-LINK support see if they get a solution.
Options
Re:Long delay in DHCP request using Multi SSID with VLANS
2021-04-20 07:08:30

@ploppy - Hi, a very similar problem here - 7 years later - on a brand new TL-WA1201

With multi-ssid, multi-vlan connecting to a tp-link TL-R605 managed by an OC200...

Clients get the correct IP address for the correct subnet but DNS lookups are flakey. 

Web pages were sometimes loading fast, sometimes slowly and sometimes timing-out

nslookup showed fast response, slow response and timeouts in about a ⅓ cases each. After a few minutes, all nslookups failed.

I am at a loss... An EAP225 on the same network with the same multi-SSID's on the same multi-VLAN's works perfectly.

I have reported to support - it will be interesting to see what comes back.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1050

Replies: 2