multiple problems with a C2Archer 750

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-09-22 04:04:51
Region : Canada

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello. I am having multiple problems with a new C2 set up. I do not see a specific forum for this model so please redirect me if need be or move this thread.

Instead of listing all the things that are not working correctly I will just start with one big problem and go from there.

The current problem involves using two of these routers - one as the main wireless router and the second as a second AP on a LAN cable.

I used this FAQ to set up the second device http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417

I was able to get into the device and set it up as per these instructions easily enough. I have it set for the same network name and password on both channels as well as setting its static IP address and turning off DHCP so as I understand it this will give me a second AP on my existing network as well as access to the LAN ports for any cable connection all on same network name which is what I want. I also disabled SID on the second device.

Here is the first batch of problems:

In my network tab the C2 Archer icon appears and disappears every couple of seconds. It appears that it is actually alternating between the first and second devices instead of displaying just the primary device or displaying both as their own icons. In itself this doesn't seen to cause any problems other than it is hard to right click on the icon and open the device page because the icon may disappear just as you do and/or you don't know which device you are actually opening. If I type the IP address directly in I can get to the device just fine. So how to stop this alternating? Really only the primary router should be displayed if the second one is now acting strictly as a second AP and switch not a router.

If the second AP loses power when it comes back up I get a second list of guest network names with the same names (ie, a duplicate list) but one set shown with a little circle on it and "open" (the guest network is not open in either routers settings). The only way to get rid of these in the list of available network connections is to open the second AP device and disable the guest network then enable it again. We get a lot of power outages here so this has quickly become an annoyance to check. There is not any duplication of my primary, private network names.

Finally in this batch of problems, which are all related in my mind, I can get 5 bars of strength shown on my 5GHz band, but the guest network only shows 4 bars of strength. How is this possible? Shouldn't the strength be the same for both as it still is carried on the same channel isn't it?

I would appreciate any help getting the settings correct to resolve these issues. Everything does appear to work with the second AP, but I do need to do a bit more testing to ensure I am actually receiving 2 access ppoints and not just one.

Thanks.

Bart
Options
4 Reply
Re:multiple problems with a C2Archer 750
2014-09-22 09:36:36
Try to fix different channle for router and AP.
Options
2014-09-22 09:42:09
So which of the three issues does fixing channels possibly correct and can you be more specific about the proper way to fix these channels so I do not create further problems? I have them set to "auto" currently which seems the most logical choice for both. Thanks.

Bart
Options
2014-09-23 09:34:15
I played around with the settings on my own for channels on both bands and can update this to say there was no difference to any of the three issues I listed at all.

Bart
Options
2014-09-24 21:50:04
Is there no further assistance to be had on this forum from TPlink?

I think I managed to solve the duplication problem myself when I found a newer firmware version however installing that brought a new problem with rebooting. The device will not display its web page and needs to be physically turned off and back on to correct the problem.

I used a software package to monitor the channel strength and did confirm that the 5GHz guest network is weaker than my private network for whatever reason so that is not resolved.

The Archer icon still flashes on and off between the two devices in explorer under networks and network infrastructure heading which is very annoying.

Bart
Options