TP-Link Archer C7 V2 Will not reset / bricked after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-05 18:01:54
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : Newest

ISP : Plus.net

I've enjoyed using my Archer C7 AC1750 V2 with the factory firmware for a while now and when I saw the update that fixes the USB authentication issues I had to install it. That was the worst mistake ever. After installing the update all seemed to be working perfectly so I went to the configs and set all my custom settings up etc.. and then clicked reboot to apply them. It never worked after that.
All it does is broadcast a wireless signal on the 2.4GHz & 5GHz band (my custom SSIDs) and run a DCHP server. 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 are not accessible though 192.168.1.1 is ping-able.
I have tried a 30/30/30, 10 seconds, 20, 30, 60 etc.. and there is no response. I can get it to boot to recovery (holding the reset switch while booting -Keeps the WPS light on), but I can't get TFTP or Telnet working to flash any firmware or attempt to reset the settings.

Does anyone know how to access this router in recovery mode? Or get into it to flash firmware when you can't access the GUI.

More information:
Before I rebooted it I set MAC Address limits on who can access the router, I also set up USB storage authentication with 2 accounts (One read only and one full admin) as well as DHCP reservations (which are still working)

Thank you for any help you can provide and for reading this.

-John
Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer C7 V2 Will not reset / bricked after firmware update
2014-10-09 10:04:41
Default gateway is 192.168.1.1? Did you get a window asking for username and password?
Restart it and keep holding reset button for 15 seconds. Check status of all lights, especially System light. As I know, if it is not flashing, then the device is defective maybe.
Options
solution
2015-01-02 18:48:23
having exactly same problem as @ganon11000 with mine TL-WR1043ND.
I can still SSH over 192.168.1.1 but have no idea what are the login credentials and I have tried every possible combination known to me. I have tried factory reset with button, but all same. SSH is working and nothing else, no web gui, nothing

Any working solution how to reset or get some working FW back? Or is it dead? than it goes to bin, unfortunate.
It served good to me, but after latest OpenWRT reflash this had happened

Thanks in advance for reply
Options
new discovery
2015-01-02 19:43:22
OK, so I have found this https://klseet.com/index.php/tl-wr1043nd-ver18/reset-failsafe-revert-to-factory
and it partially worked for me. I have managed to follow it up to command [CODE]mtd -r erase rootfs_data[/CODE] than it went well, and reboots.
But when setting back to DHCP it asigned back to 192.168.1.1 and the router is still not accessible.
So I tried the [CODE]firstboot [/CODE] and again, it went well, but no access after reboot
So at last I have tried to sett root password by [CODE]passwd[/CODE], and again it went well so now I can SSH into router over 192.168.1.1 root/password
I can access the /root and all but now I'm not sure what to do to restore all back, or fix the standard web access.
any help highly appreciated as I'm a noob but I can search and follow the istructions. And now I know the router is not totally dead, all I need is a little push here :)

thanks
Options
2015-01-04 09:08:46

rikardo1979 wrote

having exactly same problem as @ganon11000 with mine TL-WR1043ND.
I can still SSH over 192.168.1.1 but have no idea what are the login credentials and I have tried every possible combination known to me. I have tried factory reset with button, but all same. SSH is working and nothing else, no web gui, nothing

Any working solution how to reset or get some working FW back? Or is it dead? than it goes to bin, unfortunate.
It served good to me, but after latest OpenWRT reflash this had happened

Thanks in advance for reply

I had to RMA in the end. Flashed the replacement with DD-WRT and all has been good.
Options
2020-11-16 02:03:59

@ganon11000 

Hi,

What do you mean by RMA ?

I got an Archer c7v5 and went on DDWRT directly, but after few days i was not really happy with DDWRT (i came from 15 years on Tomato) and wanted to try OpenWRT, but impossible DDWRT don't let me flash anything else than DDWRT firmware, i wasn't even able to return on factory firmware.
Yesterday i done a bad manipulation (uploaded the stock firmware with ssh to /tmp), then i mtd it to fullflash, and it bricked the router.

My Archer c7v5 don't respond to anything now, not even reset or Reset+power on during 5 seconds to tftp a firmware...

I don't know what this mean, it have two leds lighted (Internet in oragne + 2nd Ethernet in green)...
Any idea (i don't have JTAG)?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4362

Replies: 5

Related Articles