How can I separate security settings between AP and router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-21 01:04:57
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP : SaskTel

I have a 2wire router from my ISP which I have to run with WEP security because my wife uses the Wii to watch Netflix and the Wii can only use WEP. What I want to do is run a separation for my computers and MyBookLive that has more security and faster connection speed between the MyBookLive and PCs. My plan was to run the Wii through the main router in WEP, then secure my AP with WPA2. I discussed this with the clerk in the store and he suggested I could do this with the TL-WA901ND, but after trying a few different things, I haven't been able to get exactly what I want.

In repeater mode, it only seems to mimic the security of the main router, so everything is still WEP, which doesn't achieve what I want. I thought Bridge with AP mode would be what I want, but I can't get it to work. In Bridge/AP mode, do the router and AP have to be physically connected? The MyBookLive is not wireless, so to secure it, I have to use the only LAN port on the AP, thus I can't connect it physically to the router. Multi-SSID mode could also do the trick, but again, do the router and AP have to be physically connected? Thanks for any help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 0