WR710N in repeater mode acts as router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-26 02:28:26
Region : Sweden

Model : TL-WR710N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.9 Build 130419 Rel.58371n

ISP :

My WR710N is configured as a repeater. It successfully hands out IP addresses sent by the main router, a Huawei H368N. Three units, a Mac, a Windows box and a network printer connect via the WR710N. One linux box connects via the Huawei. To access the machines connecting via the TP-Link from the machine connected via the Huawei I have to add a route to the machine connecting via the Huawei. To make this clearer:

Connected via the TP-Link (x.y.z.2) is my mac, on IP x.y.z.201
Connected via the Huawei (x.y.z.1) is my linux box on IP x.y.z.103
For the linux box to contact the mac even by ping, I have to add the following route in the linux box

route add -net 192.168.1.192 netmask 255.255.255.224 gw 192.168.1.2

This is not my idea of the functioning of a repeater. Wherever I am in the x.y.z.0 net I expect to be able to ping a name or an ip address and get a result without routes. Also I am having trouble roaming. One of my laptops usually connects via the TP-Link. When I move to the area where the Huawei is the stronger signal, it loses contact with the net.

How can I configure the TP-Link to repeat without the need of a route. And how can I make roaming work better?
Options
2 Reply
Re:WR710N in repeater mode acts as router
2014-10-29 18:47:20
This problem has got worse. In addition to the problem above, I cannot mount a share belonging to the linux box on my Mac. This may, of course, be because the linux box cannot find where to send a reply to the mount request.

From the Mac (behind the TP-Link) I cannot ping the linux box and get a reply. With arp I get an incomplete record - it has the IP address but no MAC address for the linux box.

On the other side, the linux box shows the MAC address of the Windows machine hiding behind the TP-Link, but not the MAC address of the Mac.

I'm getting confused. Must I have a route on the machines behind the TP-Link as well in order to talk to the linux box?
Options
Re:WR710N in repeater mode acts as router
2014-10-30 09:36:40
You can try to use WDS mode--four address WDS.
Options