Archer D7 firewall implementation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-11-10 01:09:29
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Good afternoon,
New TP-Link user here, so no previous experience of the hardware. Could not find Archer D7 listed under ADSL router section, so thought best to post here.
Can I please just check my understanding that the firewall does NOT need to be enabled to prevent/deny all INCOMING requests to the LAN. I refer to menu options for "Firewall" and "IPV6 Firewall" which are headings on left hand side of admin screen.
Also, I notice "SPI Firewall" under "WAN settings" (advanced). Should this be enabled to prevent incoming requests?
Are "Firewall" and "SPI Firewall" settings completely different things on this range of routers?
Thanks.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer D7 firewall implementation
2014-11-10 09:48:00
"Firewall" and "SPI Firewall" settings are completely different things.
Firewall settings can be used to control user’s access to the Internet. http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=467
SPI firewall enhances network’s security.
Options
2014-11-10 17:18:08
ADA - many thanks for your reply.
Do you know if the " Firewall" settings on the D7 are similar to the "Internet Access control" settings on the C7?
For a basic home setup (one PC and tablet requiring internet & e-mail access only) do I simply enable "SPI Firewall" and ignore (i.e. disable) " Firewall" settings on the D7?
If yes, will this arrangement "DENY by default" all unauthorised inward requests?
Do you happen to know any way of actually testing the router?
Many thanks.
Options
2014-11-11 09:41:32

grandad wrote

Do you know if the " Firewall" settings on the D7 are similar to the "Internet Access control" settings on the C7?

Yes, similar to each other. In your case, you can just leave it in default settings with firewall disabled. How do you want to test the router? Maybe you need a third party software...
Options
2014-11-15 17:21:09

grandad wrote

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Good afternoon,
New TP-Link user here, so no previous experience of the hardware. Could not find Archer D7 listed under ADSL router section, so thought best to post here.
Can I please just check my understanding that the firewall does NOT need to be enabled to prevent/deny all INCOMING requests to the LAN. I refer to menu options for "Firewall" and "IPV6 Firewall" which are headings on left hand side of admin screen.
Also, I notice "SPI Firewall" under "WAN settings" (advanced). Should this be enabled to prevent incoming requests?
Are "Firewall" and "SPI Firewall" settings completely different things on this range of routers?
Thanks.

Yes the Archer C7_V2 and 3 default to blocking all unrequested inbound IPV4 connection attempts. You should still do a port scan to confirm however
The router does not have an IPV6 firewall of any kind with any of the currently released firmwares. You will need to use the Windows Firewall to BLOCK
unrequested inbound IPV6 TCP/UPD connection attempts which is not difficult
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 824

Replies: 4