INPUT from RJ45

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

INPUT from RJ45

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
INPUT from RJ45
INPUT from RJ45
2014-11-13 00:40:34
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA730RE

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 1.1 ?

ISP : Plusnet

Hi.
I have a fully working Wi-Fi network in a BIG house.
I have a 4 port Wi-Fi router in one room, and a cable connected to one of the 4 RJ45 ports...
This cable is laid inder the floor and down a corridor into another room.
The cable works fine and I can plug it into my computer in the other room and everything is perfect.

What I want is WI-FI in the other room. But the other room is too far away to get a good enough signal from the original Wi-Fi router.

Someone gave me this lovely little TP-LINK TL-WA730RE

If I put it near enough to the original router to get a Wi-Fi signal it works fine, but at the end of the cable there is not a good enough signal to pick up for it to 'extend'

I want to plug in the RJ45 cable (Which is carying a PERFECT signal) and have the box transmit Wi-Fi from it....

I don't seem to be able to make this happen?????????

Does it not allow you to do this?

Do you know of any devices available on the market which will take a MALE RJ45 cable and produce Wi-Fi from it?

Thank you in anticipation...
Options
6 Reply
Re:INPUT from RJ45
2014-11-13 09:58:54
From your description, what you need is an access point? Many TP-LINK devices can make it.
Do you still need to access internet by cable to the access point? If yes, to purchase a router like TL-WR841ND and configure it as an access point should be good.
There is an instruction. http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417
Besides, you posted several threads but a little different from each other. You may describe clearly in one thread to save time.
Options
2014-11-13 21:24:04
So, am I correct is saying answer is:

"Yes, the TL-WA730RE CAN be used to create a Wi-Fi hot-spot by pluggin in an RJ45 feed to the socket in the back of the box and setting its' operation mode to "AP" or "Access Point" rather than "RE" or "Range Extender"

I was certain that was the first thing I tried to do with it and didn't manage to get it to work, but if that's what you're saying, then I'll try it again!

Thank you.
Options
2014-11-16 02:24:16

Errr... OK, that's almost easy to decipher fotodamaris....
However, because you have no line spaces and there's a lot you assume I already understand, there's a couple of things I need to you to give me much more clearly...
You said: " [COLOR="#0000FF"]in Network DHCP Server: Disable, IP Address: same subnet as Gateway from main router dif. IP, example if your Gateway from main router is 192.168.0.1 input on 730 192.168.0.2 Next and Reboot to save settings
"
That confuses me a lot...
I went to " DHCP, SETTINGS" I selected the option ' DHCP SERVER Disable' (I'm assuming that is one thing)
Then I went to NETWORK which has LAN as the heading...
In there are options for:
MAC Address:
Type:
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Gateway

So, I understand it is this 'Subnet Mask' I need to keep as the one on my main router, (255.255.255.0). But then you seem to be saying the gateway should be as per my main router but last digit incremented. So 192.168.0.1 becomes 192.168.0.2 for this gateway?????

When I type that in, it says it will re-boot, and then it says "ERROR Code 2001 Bad Gateway, please input another one"
(The IP address is set to 192.168.1.254)

So what am I doing wrong?
Options
2014-11-16 04:58:33
Yes it IS the gateway of my main router!
I can not be connected to my main router at the same time as being connected to the WA730RE as I have an RJ45 cable directly connected to the WA730RE in order to log onto it to configure it.
The WA730RE will only be connected to my main router when I take out the configuring RJ45 and plug in the RJ45 coming from the main router!
Options
2014-11-16 04:59:57
My Main router is a Netgear router and it is the main gateway and it IS 192.168.0.1
Options
2014-11-19 00:51:04
Thank you photodamaris....
With your help, I've now got it working....
Kind regards.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1002

Replies: 6

Related Articles