TL-WDR3600 as AP and File Server for Windows 8.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-11-17 05:33:51
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.34 Build 130909 Rel.53148n

ISP : Virgin Media

I am using the WDR3600 as an Access Point (AP) on my LAN.

I have turned off DHCP, set a permanent IP addressed and connected to the LAN via the four port switch (not the WAN port).

It is working fine as an AP - I can connect wirelessly to the LAN and access the Internet through my other router.

I have attached a USB stick to one of the USB ports.
I now see the router as a DNLA Media Server in Windows Explorer.
However I can't see the router as a host on the LAN, nor can I see files on it using Windows Explorer.

I note that even though I have turned off Media Server in the web management tool I still see the router as a Media device.

It took me a while to get FTP working - only when I realised I had to create a share name before I could see files or add them did I get it working.
FTP seems to work fine now.
I have added files, but I still can't see them via Windows Explorer.

The instructions for XP/Vista/W7 say to use the 'run' dialogue and type in "\\tplogin.net".
I have tried this (though I don't really understand what it is supposed to do) but all I get is an error message about not being able to open the resource.
As far as I can tell "\\tplinklogin.net" should identify the router as an SMB host.

Any tips on how to get file sharing working?
Or is there something "special" which happens when you are using the router as your connection to the WAN?

I didn't load on any software from the resource CD but I can't initially see anything on there which might be related to this.

Cheers

LGC
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WDR3600 as AP and File Server for Windows 8.1
2014-11-17 14:17:56
What's the IP address of TL-WDR3600? Is it in the same subnet as other computers in the same LAN?
Options
Re:TL-WDR3600 as AP and File Server for Windows 8.1
2014-11-17 16:09:00

Ada wrote

What's the IP address of TL-WDR3600? Is it in the same subnet as other computers in the same LAN?

Yes, it is in the same subnet and I can manage it from a web browser on that subnet and use FTP.

As stated, I can see it as a media device (even when Media Server is turned off) just not as an SMB device in Windows Explorer.

I am running my Windows network as a workgroup (although not called WORKGROUP) to support legacy systems.
On my Buffalo WZR-600DHP2 which is my main router file serving works but there is far more configuration of the network share.
For example in "Sharing" I can configure the workgroup name.
If workgroup name support is required then this router should provide it as the help files talk about XP/Vista/W7.

Edit:

looks at though the work group thing is at least part of the problem

After further Googling I have found the following command to be issued at the Command Prompt.
net use p: \\192.168.0.50\volume9 /user:workgroup\LittleGreyCat
This maps the drive on the router (shown as "volume9" in the Storage Sharing page on the router) to my P: drive.
Works on both W7 and W8.1.

Looks at the inability to change the work group name may be a bug in the router software.

Edit:

Just checked, and using
\\192.168.0.50\volume9
in the Run command brings up the file share in the Network part of Windows Explorer.

So the real problem is the assumption that the router will be your DNS server and so will be able to translate "tplinklogin.net" to address\volume.
You can do it without specifying the work group.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 567

Replies: 2

Related Articles