Unable to install Utility software for WN721N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-16 23:32:33
Region : India
Model : TL-WN721N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello.
Yesterday upon booting my pc i noticed my TP link icon was missing.
So i uninstalled the program from the Control panel and tried to reinstall both the driver and the utility software again, the latest ones from the website.
However both installations failed.
I however managed to install the driver from Device manager but now cannot manually force install the Utility software.
I get the following error as soon as i run setup file:

[CODE]
"Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications: If the error still occurs please contact your vendor Tp link"

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (615)
PAPP:TP-LINK Wireless Adapter Installation Program
PVENDOR:TP-LINK (http://www.TP-LINK.com)
PGUID:86A7EED0-02D0-4D91-8183-8D2F23F5E6AE
$14.0.0.162PAK
[/CODE]

I ran Microsoft's Fix it software to check for any bad uninstallation/installation files and it detected no error.
Is there anyway i can install this software manually?
I'm guessing Installshield wizard is kaput?

I'm using Windows 7 32bit btw.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Nithesh M
Options
13 Reply
Re:Unable to install Utility software for WN721N
2014-12-17 22:11:20
Hello. In an update, i found the problem to be Avast AV interference. I disabled and managed to install the driver and Utility.
The driver is installed but the Utility software installation was successful but i cannot see the Utility Icon appear anywhere.
Moreover if i go into the TP link folder in Program files, it only has "uninstall tp link" exe there and no other files.
Any help?
Options
2014-12-18 10:18:16
Strange issue. Have you tried a different PC?
I won't install the program since there is bulit-in utility.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=306
Options
2014-12-19 23:12:29
don't have another system right now to try this on. My primary use for the adapter is to create wifi hotspot for my phone
Options
2014-12-25 10:53:04
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Run this. It is caused by a uninstall fail. Clean up the remnants first. Then re-install
Options
2014-12-27 02:05:31
I'm not sure if that fixit fixed it, because i had run it before as i've stated in my original post.
What i did was after running that file and going through all the procedures and exiting, i went to C:/Program Data and deleted TP-Link folder there and then went into registry and deleted all entries in the name of "Tp-link".

Then i permanently disabled my Avast AV and downloaded the utility and driver from the website and successfully installed both.
So yes, the problem at hand has been solved.
Thank you.
Options
2015-01-07 01:12:01
Update 2:
Okay after going through the above hurdles and installing the driver and utility, i seem to have a new problem.
SoftAP won't initiate and i get the error saying [code]Failed to configure SoftAP mode, please have a check and disconnect ad hoc network, or re-enable adapter.[/code] I don't see my broadband listed under Networks either.

What gives?
Options
2015-01-07 11:29:47
The driver you installed is for Windows 7 32bit?
Uninstall the driver. Install the driver manually first. And then, install the utility only.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=228
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WN722NC&version=V1#tbl_b
Options
2015-01-07 23:44:39
Yes Win 7 32bit.
Reinstalled both driver and and utility seperately.
Still see the error:

Options
2015-01-08 15:08:03
Umm, it is strange. Can you try a different PC?
Options
2015-01-09 00:45:41
Don't have another Pc right now since i'm frequenting hospital-home routine these days. I think this has something to do with ICS?
Checked ICS in Services and set it to Manual and Automatic too but it just won't start up and i get a message that reads
"The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs''
I tried to manually use the sharing function from my Network Connection but it seems to not work either.

The Utility does not detect my broadband and the IP Address shown above is 0.0.0.0
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1496

Replies: 13