DHCP Address reservation and DHCP from gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-25 22:19:29
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA801ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have set this up by trial and error got a working AP and can connect to the internet.

I am using this as a bridge with AP.

In wireless settings I have set to best AP to connect to and then set a new SSID and key for the AP.

In DHCP I have used the same address range as the original AP but moved it to a higher range. I have then address two machines to the address reservation list.

The address reservation only works for the first connection, after which the machine is getting its IP address from the fisrt AP which it is connecting to through the TP-Link. Why is the TP Link not giving the address as expected? Can I stop this?

In the wireless settings if I change the channel of the local AP I lose connection to the bridged AP, it seems the channel is for both not just local, is there a way to break them apart?

More info if needed although strangly I cannot connect to the TPLINK at the moment even though I know its IP address.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with any of this.
Options
4 Reply
Re:DHCP Address reservation and DHCP from gateway
2015-01-26 08:55:05
internet ------AP1 ))) ((( AP2 ))) ((( computers

You enable DHCP on both APs but set them with different ranges. On the AP2(TPLINK) DHCP reservation is enable and you want the computers to obtain IP addresses from the TPLINK, right?

But in fact the computers obtain IP address randomly from either AP1 or AP2, which is not as you expect. This is because the AP2 won't block the DHCP offer from AP2, so that the computers will got two IP offers after they sent out their request. The result is the computer will pick up one of the IP addresses indeterminately.

You need to set the same reservation rules on both AP1 and AP2
Options
2015-01-26 20:48:12
Thanks for the reply, I don't have access to the AP1 configs, so I was hoping the TP Link would work as a separate AP and assign the IP before allowing the AP1 to be involved.

I am thinking I need something different as this is not working. The TPL box keeps locking me out and needing a reset.
Thanks anyway.
Simon.
Options
2015-01-27 05:26:40

fotodamaris wrote

should had provided that info. on post #1
this is not about hoping

Thanks for your help :)
Options
2015-01-27 16:08:03

fotodamaris wrote

You where helped by @radvd

Yes I was, lucky for me. I still don't understand why connecting to a TPL AP is allowing me to get the DHCP information from another AP but it's a quirk of TPL. I guess because it can't do NAT and I never checked before I bought it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 581

Replies: 4

Related Articles