Archer C5 AC1200 Wifi drops frequently

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-13 06:16:51
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C5

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14.1 Build 141126 Rel.62171n

ISP : Virgin Media

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some advice on this... As this is becoming beyond a joke now, this is my second TP-Link router (previous one was different model), and this is the 2nd time something appears to working under performance. Essentially, my WiFi drops frequently on a day to day basis, there are good days where it won't but this is becoming more frequent now. I've configured various settings, like changing the channels from auto to selecting a custom channel to setting up the DHCP so all of my devices don't jump from one IP to another (does this even matter? Or is it just helpful?). I notice it happens more often when my house mates get home after the gym but surely having multiple devices on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz isn't the source of the problem. Additionally, this occurs on most but not all devices. So last night my PC, phone and Xbox were perfectly fine. Although my friends phones and Mac couldn't even connect to the WiFi anymore, then my PC randomly drops. Reseting the router fixes this for a few hours but it's very bad that I need to reset the router every few hours.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C5 AC1200 Wifi drops frequently
2015-03-13 14:56:52
How about signal strength when connection drops?
Change mode to 11bg for 2.4GHz and 11an for 5GHz to test.
Options
2015-03-13 16:09:51
It sounds like there are many devices connecting to the router in your case.

This kind the home router is capable of severing 15~20 devices at best. So don't connect too much devices to one radio at the same time.

My suggestion: Keep the 5GHz-capable devices connected to the 5GHz Wi-Fi only, while the ordinary 2.4GHz devices connected to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. In this way you can balance the load the two Wi-Fi radios.

BTW: you should also check is there somebody downloading too fast, which occupies too much resources.
Options
2015-03-15 04:32:26
Thanks for the advice guys! There's up to 20 devices (maybe even more), I'll reconfigure the WiFi settings and sort out my equipment and balance the # of devices per frequency, hopefully this will help.
Options
Re:Re:Archer C5 AC1200 Wifi drops frequently
2019-01-18 23:19:24

Did it help?

Options