Guest Network with C7 Setup as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-17 03:41:32
Region : Canada

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14.1 Build 141110 Rel.44276n

ISP : Rogers

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my old, dying router to the TP-Link Archer C7 and so far it's a great router however I bought it to set up as an AP with guest networking. By doing some research I see that without allowing guests to access my internal network, they won't be able to get an IP and do whatever they need to while connected. Is there anyway around this? I'd prefer not to give them access to my internal network.

I think I saw something I could do with Access Control but I have no clue how to set that up, could someone please help?

Thanks.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Guest Network with C7 Setup as AP
2015-03-17 10:40:41
Unfortunately it is impossible.

check this
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78749-Question-concerning-quot-guest-network-quot-when-configured-as-Wifi-Access-Point&p=153889&viewfull=1#post153889

--internet ------- wan.router.lan ---- lan.C7 ))) ((( clients

You must disable "AP isolation" in order to allow the guest to access
Options
Re:Guest Network with C7 Setup as AP
2015-03-24 23:43:09
Wow, to me this is a bug. One of the main benefits of a guest account is you give them wifi temporarily to access the internet but they do not get access to the lan networks.

I don't believe other routers with similar functionality behave this way?

I haven't tried it yet but a workaround might be the option ' Access shared storage with password' enabled. Although then you'll need to log in to access your network share but I think it would keep guests out.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1025

Replies: 2

Related Articles