Set local domain name in Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-17 14:54:35
Region : Austria

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 11/10/2014

ISP :

Hi Forum,
I'm pointing a domainname to my home IP to reach my home network from remote locations. For updating my IP I'm using the no-ip.com DDNS service and it works very well. Now I created a small home automation tool served by a Raspberry Pi on a specific port. The port is forwarded to the Raspberry Pi. Accessing it by using the domainname and the specific port works well. The tool includes an infrared control for my TV and AVR, which only works nice if there is not much lag between the clicks and the reaction. If I access the tool at home via the remote domainname, it's a bit laggier than accessing the Raspberry Pi with the local 192.168.*.* IP. I could save to bookmarks on each of our mobile devices, one pointing to the local 192.168.*.* IP, and one pointing to the domainname. But thats pretty dirty, because you always have to switch the applications. And as I included a meta tag, so that the tool is opened without the mobile browser frame, you don't see the current address, so you don't know which instance is local and which remote.

As all my mobile devices use DHCP, their DNS is the Archer C7. Is there a way to configure the Archer C7, so that it resolves this one domainname directly to my local IP without any extra rounds accross the internet?
Options
1 Reply
Re:Set local domain name in Archer C7
2015-03-18 22:49:07
Welcome to the (large) club of users who would like to see this trivial feature implemented: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?76780-DHCP-Client-lookups-on-WDR4300&p=146721

It is such a shame that almost any router (even the ones from most ISPs) have this feature, but TP-Link does not on this model. It would be minimal effort within their firmware to enable DNS resolving for the local domain.
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 2758

Replies: 1

Related Articles