Static IP address for the device attached to the LAN port when in CLIENT mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-01 07:29:45
Region : Germany

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 4.19.1 Build 130528 Rel.52704n

ISP : unitymedia

Hi!

I'm using a TL-WR702N in client mode to provide WLAN access for my PVR without an WLAN interface. From my access point I see one IP assigned to the TL-WR702N and another to the device attached to its LAN port. Both appear in the list of connected devices using the same MAC address. From my LAN I can access the web interface of the TL-WR702N and the web interface of the PVR,

Now I want to be able to access the PVR web interface from the public internet. I thus want to assign a static IP address to the PVR and configure port forwarding on my AP for HTTP port 80 to that LAN IP address.

How can I assign a static IP address to the LAN port of the TL-WR702N in client mode? I tried to assign a static IP address to the MAC address of the TL-WR702N LAN port. But in fact, that statixc LAN IP address is now used be the web interface of the TL-WR702N itself. The PVR connecting to the LAN port again got a dynamic IP address.

I don't know the PVR MAC address. However, knowing it would not help, as the AP does not see it, but only the MAC address of the L-WR702N.

Any pointer? How can I control the IP address of the PVR using the TL-WR702N in client mode as a WLAN adapter?
Options
2 Reply
Re:Static IP address for the device attached to the LAN port when in CLIENT mode
2015-04-01 11:45:15
You said " I'm using a TL-WR702N in client mode to provide WLAN access for my PVR without an WLAN interface"
I think you should enable DHCP in your WR702N.

And assign a fixed DHCP ip from your WR702N
So that your PVR take the DHCP from your router only.And it is not accessed by Public IP.

So the router assign your PVR a fixed DHCP IP.

And if you don't know your PVR MAC Address see the lables on the PVR MAC address should like this 00:00:00:00:00:00.
Options
Re:Static IP address for the device attached to the LAN port when in CLIENT mode
2015-04-01 16:39:15
Siddhant001 wrote:

And assign a fixed DHCP ip from your WR702N
So that your PVR take the DHCP from your router only.And it is not accessed by Public IP

The only reason for this exercise is to make the PVC acessable from the Internet so that I can e.g. program a recording from anywhere via the Internet. To achive this, I need to configure port forwarding on my AP. Consequently, I need a static address for the device acting as the HTTP server (i.e. my PVR): The address I configured in the port forwarding for port 80.

I am using the setting Address-Type="Smarth IP (DHCP) in Network->LAN currently. Which means the WR702N is acting as a DHCP relay agent. And I wonder if there is any way to enforce a static IP for the device attached to the WR702N's LAN port. It looks like the WR702N uses its LAN MAC when forwarding the PVR's DHCP requests to the DHCP server (my AP). But this is the MAC address the WR702N uses in DHCP when requesting its own IP address. In result, the AP cannot distinguish which is which. The WR702N asks for an IP first and the AP thus responds using the statically configured one. When the DHCP request from the PVR reaches the AP, it responds with a dynamically assigned one.

If I enable DHCP on the [COLOR=#333333]WR702N, I can of course assign and IP address from the according address range. But I need the PVR to get an static IP from the AP's IP address pool, not from the [COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]WR702N address pool...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 2