TP-Link will not auto-connect to Wi-Fi network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-15 02:18:37
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WN823N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

This is about a new TL-WN823N installed on a recently acquired Windows XP SP3 machine and trying to connect to an established and reliable Business Hub wi-fi service in our office. I'm fairly experienced in PC's from Win 95 thro' Win 7 but this issue is driving me nuts.

First I installed from the disc Drivers + Utilities and it would not work, it would start and see all the wi-fi signals available but when you tried to connect it said something like “could not connect network must be out of range, please refresh available networks and try again. Tried various things (at suggestions from customer support) but could not get it to work, eventually I un-installed both the Utilities and the Driver, downloaded the driver from this site and installed it with Windows set to manage it.

Now when I boot up it will not connect automatically, I have to click on wireless networks, connect to a BT Openzone (open unencrypted signal), then disconnect and reconnect to our company wi-fi signal. From boot up if we try manually connecting first to the company service it times out, fails, and moves on to the BT Openzone and locks onto that (then of course we have to force it manually to reconnect to our business service). I tried booting up and leaving for over an hour but it failed to connect on its own. We have 2 other XP machines and 2 Win 7 Machines all using the Business Hub without any issues, this is definitely PC or Adapter specific.

Here’s the full process of where we are:
Start PC – Wireless Network Icon on system tray has red cross – Message balloon appears “Unable to connect to preferred Wireless Network, Windows will keep trying….”

If we don’t have BT Openzone on preferred network list it never connects to anything, even if I open network connections and tell it to connect to the business network, it just tries and appears to time out. Then if I ask it to connect to BT Openzone from the received signal list it fails first time around, then apparently because it’s now been added to the preferred network list if you try again it will connect to that. When that has happened if you disconnect and ask it to connect to the business network it will then connect to it no problem.

So currently if we have BT Openzone on preferred network list (2nd & automatic) it will move to that and connect, we can then disconnect and reconnect to the business network and it runs all day just fine until the machine is rebooted.

I have checked that Wireless Zero Config is set to run automatically at start up and checked that the service is actually running. I have checked the network settings and list of preferred networks and again everything seems fine. I’m just wondering if there’s possibly something else conflicting with the service (i.e. other third party software), it did come from an Ethernet cabled environment (at home) so has never run a USB wireless adapter until now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link will not auto-connect to Wi-Fi network.
2015-04-15 15:02:32
Is it possible for you to install the WN823N on a different PC to test if the problem continues?
Have you tried to update the driver? https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN823N_v1
Options
2015-04-22 00:31:53
Yes, I borrowed another XP system from a friend and installed the same driver onto that machine, the WN823N works perfectly from 1st go.
So that comes back to my first conclusions that it's something on the XP system of our new 2nd hand machine that's causing the issue.

Also yes I downloaded a fresh copy of the driver for the chip-set rather than using the CD that came in the box.

Can't think where to look in XP for a solution as all the network settings look fine, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Options
2015-04-22 14:45:22
Not sure but can you have a windows update or something like that?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2281

Replies: 3

Related Articles