Archer C7 - ethernet port activity every 10 seconds with no devices connected?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-17 17:36:17
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : C7_V2_150304

ISP :

I have just bought an Archer C7 and it appears to working correctly but have a query about the 4 gigabit port activity lights.

There are ethernet switches connected to these ports and whether or not there are any devices on them switched on there is a regular pulse of activity every 1 second. I'm not too concerned about that, this is like a "heartbeat" and is common to all routers I've used.

However, once every 10 seconds there is a flurry of activity, all lights flash rapidly for about one second. considering it's a gigabit network and this activity lasts far longer than the "hearbeat" pulse, there must be quite a bit of information being sent out by the router. But there are only two benign switches connected.

Is this normal behaviour - does everyone else see this burst of activity every 10 seconds? I can understand a polling hearbeat pulse every so often but this is more sustained acitivity and I can't understand what level of communication the router could be doing with just two switches! I've probably had around half a dozen other routers in the past and none have displayed this behaviour.

Having been burned in the past with other routers and DNS explots and being hacked, I guess I'm just paranoid in case there's something that is scanning my network...
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - ethernet port activity every 10 seconds with no devices connected?
2015-04-20 13:59:30
If the network is working correctly, I don't think that you need to be so sensitive...
It is normal that Wi-Fi lights are flashing...
Options
Re:Archer C7 - ethernet port activity every 10 seconds with no devices connected?
2015-04-20 16:31:59
I'm aware that the wi-fi lights are continually flashing, however it's the ethernet lights that I'm querying. I am aware that routers can poll the networkregualrly, this is the 1-second "hearbeat". What I'm qurying is the burst of activity once every 10 seconds, this is not as simple as a ping packet or something like that being sent round the network, it is quite a sustained piece of activity.

Does everyone else see this activity, separate from the wif-fi lights flashing and the once-per-second heartbeat?

I know it's normal for lights to flash, but could someone answer the specific question about the burst of activity once every 10 seconds, as this has not happened with any other router I've had therefore it's not "normal". Is this something specific to TP-Link routers?

M Diamond: Do *you* see this flurry of activity once every 10 seconds?
Options
2015-05-01 03:23:37
Hi,

I don't see anything abnormal on my LAN leds, but I don't have a switch, only 3 PCs directly plugged.

At the opposite, my WLAN leds are not flashing like those of my other routers, or the LAN leds.
I mean these leds don't show any real activity, flashing only at 1Hz.
I don't know if it's a firmware bug or a stupid hardware design...
Options
2015-05-01 04:30:58
It's stupid design, the manual mentons it! Yes, my wifi lights do the same thing at 1Hz, but they seem to fash faster when there's activity.

I've used Wireshark to capture the packets that are sent round the LAN every 10 seconds. They appear to be a set of SSDP packets. I assume this is valid and the router is supposed to do it, and is not the router allowing something from outside to be sniffing my network! But no other router I've had has felt the need to do this.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 572

Replies: 4