Archer C9 integration into current setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-21 23:05:38
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT/Talk Talk

Hey guys

Thank you for having me on your forum, sorry my introduction post is an 'ask'

I have a rented apartment with one wifi router shared between the several tenants, it's a nasty device provided by the internet company and just isn't doing the job I require it for / doesn't leave me feeling secure having an open network with everyone else I live with.

I have bitten the bullet and purchased the TP-Link Archer C9 Wireless Router, it looks amazing! Obviously I purchased this out of my own pocket and don't really want to share this device with the other housemates as the main aim was to give myself some added security. I have had the landlord's permission to setup the network however I like as long as I don't permanently disrupt the other housemates wireless network on the current router.

Our current setup is MODEM > TALKTALK ROUTER >>> several users

Ideally i'd like to setup MODEM > ARCHER C9 > ethernet cable link > TALKTALK ROUTER or

MODEM > SWITCH > [ ARCHER C9 / TALKTALK ROUTER (2 channels, 1 & 2 with Cat6 runs to each)

End result being, leaving a router for my use, with my own secure login and the current (separate) router for the rest of the housemates, still with their usual login. The other housemates purely use the network for internet only, playstations etc where as I need my network for a more work based purposes.

is this achievable? Can I do it by simply plugging in, almost as an electrical circuit?

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated

John
File:
tlktlkc9.jpgDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C9 integration into current setup
2015-05-22 14:41:02
Your third idea won't work, it is infeasible because one modem allows only one router to dail-up.

Since the C9 has no VLAN function, your second setup is not security at all.

So the only available setup left is:

Internet -- MODEM --> TALKTALK ROUTER -->ethernet cable --> ARCHER C9 --> your computers

Just connect the C9's bule WAN port to the TalkTalk router's LAN port through an Ethernet cable. Then wait for the C9 to automatically configure itself.

Other roommates use the TalkTalk as they always do. You use your C9. No one can access your LAN from outside the C9's WAN.

You should also log into the C9 to change the SSID (wifi name) and password to anything you like.

But I like you to notice that since you are using C9 behind another router, you may suffer some speed unavoidable loss.

I believe this is want you want and you will accomplish the setup successfully.If you encounter other issue you can come back here and post new threads for solutions. :cool:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 211

Replies: 1

Related Articles