Consistent connection drops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-02 14:52:00
Region : Argentina

Model : TG-3269

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Firstly this is the model number that I could find : TL-WN881ND, I didn't see it listed in the options

Basically my issue is that when im connected through the wifi i get random drops in my connection where there is no internet activity.
It will drop for about 10 seconds then go back to normal and then a few minutes or seconds later it will do the same, I've had the product for about a year and i've mostly been away all year and this hasn't really been an issue as the only things really used when i am not here is netflix youtube, etc the connection doesnt drop long enough for it to be noticed on here, but now that i'm home I'd like to be able to do a bit of online gaming but find this incredibly frustrating because all i receive are disconnections after disconnections to the point where online gaming really isnt possible,it can also be seen when im downloading, my download speed will drop from about 4MB/s to 0 then it will rise again, but here's the thing it only seems to happen when there are other people on the network, i thought(maybe because i'm not really very educated on how this sort of thing works) that maybe the other things were hogging the bandwidth as my computer is the furthest device in the house from my router but now we've switched ISP to Vodaphone from eircom and this problem still exists.

I've tried to fix this in the past with no luck, the only thing that seemed to help briefly was reinstalling the drivers but even then it's a quick fix for a very short amount of time.
Another thing of note is that sometimes clicking "troubleshoot" on my connection will bring up 1 of 2 things :

1) Problem found with wifi adapter
Resetting Wifi adapter
Problem has been resolved
^ This again is a short term fix which works for a very small amount of time

2) No DSL Connection
^ When this error occurs to my understanding it's supposed to be an issue with the router, but my laptop works, my phone works other phones in the house work as well as a tablet all work with no issues

Another quick fix I've found that again works for a brief amount of time is to disconnect and reconnect to the router

Other troubleshooting tips ive found :

1) Set the wifi adapters settings so that my system doesn't automatically turn it off to save power
2) Reset my router
3) Reinstall my drivers
4) Make sure the wifi card is not loose
5) I can't remember the exact steps taken but it was something to do with IP addresses in the command prompt - sorry for being so vague but it's been about 9 months since I tried this
6) Loose antennas
7) Computer is too close to the wall

Basically I'm just looking for confirmation that my wifi card is F*#&£D but I'm just posting on here incase there is possibly a solution that i may not have found before i go and spend €40 on a new card.

Oh also this card worked perfectly for the first month that my PC was built but by that point Amazon's return policy had expired.

Also Ethernet really isn't an option and I've seen similar problems with several power adapter reviews that i've read that make me hesitant to buy one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Consistent connection drops
2015-06-02 16:56:28
What's the operating system of your PC?
Try to install chipmaker's driver (Atheros AR9287).
https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.html
Options
2015-06-02 19:02:38
Thanks for the reply,

Sorry it's Windows 7 64 bit.

I'll try this when I get back home and see how it goes, thanks for the suggestion.
Options
2015-06-03 03:59:42
Just installed the drivers in to my PC and cannot get an internet connection at all now so i will have to revert to the previous drivers, thanks for trying to help though it's appreciated but i think i'm just gonna go ahead and order a different card haha
Options
2015-06-03 15:14:18
How did you install the driver? http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-228.html
It should work...Anyway, it seems that you have given up...lol
Options
2015-06-04 02:03:58
Haha i brought up my devices clicked update drivers for the wifi card and redirected it to the file i downloaded as there was no run.exe or setup.exe file in it, it still picked up the router and showed it as having internet access but wouldnt load anything at all but yeah i've already ordered a new card, 100% confident the card was the problem now so i have no issues replacing it lol
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 644

Replies: 5

Related Articles