C7 HDD Format (exFAT) Support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-11 03:40:06
Region : Greece

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n

ISP : forthnet

Hi,

I purchased this router, and the issue i encountered is that it cannot see HDDs formated in exFat.
I have tried using a NTFS formated drive and works fine, but the problem is i desperatly need exFAT disks.
Why? Because in my house he have both MACs and PCs, and since last cant even "see" HFS+ disks ( i think this router also doesnt support this format aswell), Macs cant write in NTFS drives and the 4Gb filesize limitation of FAT32 is an issue, the only viable option for external drives for me exFAT.

Plus, it seems silly to support the floppy-disk-era FAT32 and not its successor exFAT.

Any thoughts from the devs if this is going to be added, or any other workarounds i can try (other firmware etc)?

Thanks in advance!

*my hardware version is V2
Options
5 Reply
Re:C7 HDD Format (exFAT) Support
2015-06-11 15:48:55
exFAT is not the supported format.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-603.html
Options
2015-06-12 01:19:47
For what it's worth, that FAQ article has been deemed out-of-date by the TP-Link engineer I am currently working with on a semi-related issue (see the [Solved] sticky thread at the top about the router not seeing my GPT 5TB disk (now resolved with a beta firmware.))

My advice to you is to open up a support ticket with TP-Link. Since they seem to be actively working out my issue, they may be able to address yours as well. Good luck and let us know what they say.
Options
2015-06-12 06:31:17
Update*

After googling around i found the solution:
it seems that it doesnt matter which format the HDD is as long as the router supports it. Any device that sees him through the router can write to him because the router is actually writing, not the system.
I tested it by formating a thumb drive to NTFS and i succesfully wrote from my mac via wifi.
I am now in the process of reformating the main external drive to NTFS and restoring the data back!

So you can mark it as solved!
Options
2015-08-06 22:48:15
Hi,
which kind of performance do you have with ntfs filesystem?
Options
2020-09-08 07:23:33

@tangles I wonder what was in your beta firmware, I too have been given a beta firmware for my Archer VR2100, however...

The router can see the 5TB HDD now (I can write files and use it normally over SMB), but when I plug it back into the Mac, Finder doesn't see any files that were created on the HDD while it was plugged into the Router.. seems like there is some Exfat compatibility issues between the router and macos.

Windows doesn't seem to be affected by this problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2969

Replies: 5

Related Articles