Weird issue with TL-WA860RE / iPhone / Apple TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-12 04:58:55
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone

This is my first post on here as a new TP-Link customer. I bought the TL-WA860-RE extender yesterday, it was very easy to install and it has extended the network upstairs to my office as I wanted. I previously ran speed tests that were getting under 1MB, now it is around 7-8MB as I would expect.

However, while my MacBook Pro is loving the new Wi-Fi signal, my iPhone is not. Although it appears to be connected to the network, with an IP address assigned (when I check the iPhone wifi settings) it does not download emails (constantly stays at "Checking for Mail") and Safari and other applications won't access the internet.

Also I checked my Apple TV - which is in the same room as my office - and it won't detect the network at all - when I check the network, no network is detected - this is in the same room as the MacBook where it picks up a 7-8MB signal.

I cannot fathom why this is happening. My wife has a Windows laptop too and that is connecting without any issue. Is there some kind of weird protocol or setting that Apple doesn't like (which would be weird as my MacBook works but the iPhone and Apple TV don't).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks for reading! :)
Options
6 Reply
Re:Weird issue with TL-WA860RE / iPhone / Apple TV
2015-06-12 13:45:25
1. On the iPhone, navigate to the Wi-Fi settings, select the wifi name(SSID) and "forget this network". Then reconnect to the wifi.
If it still doesn't work, go next.

2. Log into the range extender and configure the range extender with an separate SSID.
By default the TL-WA860RE is repeating the signal using the same SSID, so your iPhone may still like to connect the original signal from the router instead of the range extender.
Options
2015-06-15 17:36:32
Thanks coca koala. I tried forgetting the network on the iPhone and it didn't work. However this wouldn't solve the problem for my Apple TV.

I have connected an ethernet cable to the extender and connected it to my Apple TV and that works fine. Ideally I wanted to use the same SSID so that I had continuous wifi signal across the house, rather than separate wifi networks as I don't want to hop between one and another - and also do I need to worry about them interfering with each other and causing issues if they have a separate SSID?

As things stand, it doesn't matter where I am in the house, my iPhone connects to the wifi and gains an IP address, but it won't download email or view web pages, it just sits there waiting...
Options
2015-06-15 19:52:51
OK so I have changed the SSID of the extender, but now when I try to connect devices they say that the password is incorrect - I am using the same password as my main router - how do I change the password on the extender, should I need to?
Options
2015-06-17 15:24:41
Power off the extender and test if you can connect to the main router wirelessly using the same password.
If it works, to login web interface of the range extender, you can power off the main router first. Connect the range extender to your PC and login with http://tplinkextender.net or http://tplinkrepeater.net.
On Wireless---Wireless Security page, you can check the password configured on range extender.
If you still cannot login, restart the range extender or reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.
Options
2015-06-18 17:34:17
Thanks. OK so I have reconfigured the extender manually after speaking to support, using the http://tplinkextender.net link.

It's still not working correctly. Often I have situations where my MacBook is connected to the network, with an IP address, but email won't download and web browsing freezes. It seems that I have to restart both the extender and my laptop to rectify this each time.

I have raised a ticket with TP-Link technical support. Happy also to take any suggestions here!

Also, my Apple TV still doesn't recognise the network and will not connect - although I am not sure if that is an issue with the Apple TV itself as my other devices are at least seeing the network.

Also my wireless printer sometimes decides it wants to connect, and sometimes decides not to.

Oh, and the iPhone now appears to work fine - most of the time - so some progress is being made!
Options
2015-07-03 16:18:41
@clockenddan Any update on your issue?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1424

Replies: 6