Netwerk environment at home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-13 05:09:02
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello my name is Bart. I'm from the Netherlands.
I'm working on a new network environment at home. I currently switched to vodafone as provider. I'm trying to run the network like this:
A Draytek Vigor2132Fvn modem/router which has 2 dedicated ports for digital TV, and 2 dedicated ports for Internet. One dedicated Internet port is linked to a TP-Link switch and one tv port is linked to a TP-Link switch. From the tv switch, lines go directly to the decoders, no problem here. From the other switch I want to connect 2 TP-Link TL-WDR 4300 routers as access points on 1st and 2nd floor. On the 2nd floor I want to connect my pc, future NAS and USB printer to the router. Finally, I'd like to have a guest network, so visitors can log in to Wifi without being able to shop around on my files. How should I set up the routers? What is DD-WRT and is it any good?

Please any advice is welcome
Options
9 Reply
Re:Netwerk environment at home
2015-06-13 23:39:49
Hi Bart,

You don't need DD-WRT to do what you want.
You have only to plug your WDR4300's from one of their LAN ports (not the WAN port).
The only delicate thing will be to use separate wireless channels to avoid interferences.
The difference between the channel numbers must be at least 4 with a 20MHz channel bandwidth and 8 with a 40MHz...
Options
2015-06-14 15:08:08

HiSpeed wrote

Hi Bart,You don't need DD-WRT to do what you want.You have only to plug your WDR4300's from one of their LAN ports (not the WAN port).The only delicate thing will be to use separate wireless channels to avoid interferences.The difference between the channel numbers must be at least 4 with a 20MHz channel bandwidth and 8 with a 40MHz...
OK, that sounds pretty basic.should the routers be on the LAN ports from start? I understand the wireless channels must be on different channels. I want the printer to be on the network as well, by using the USB port on one of the routers. Should I change any settings on the routers besides using the same SSID on on both routers and modem/router?Kind regards,Bart
Options
2015-06-14 17:34:06
In a first step, I suggest you to plug each WDR4300 alone with a PC in order to set it properly.
You have to give a special IP address because the default will be probably in conflict with another.
The SSID's can be or must be (for roaming) the same.
Options
2015-06-15 04:14:09
OK, so I have to select a static IP adress.
Can the router as AP be connected via USB to a printer, to make it function as a network printer?
Options
2015-06-15 05:56:33

Vorian wrote

Can the router as AP be connected via USB to a printer, to make it function as a network printer?

Yes, but a special TP-Link software is required on each PC used to print...
Options
2015-06-23 05:41:52
OK, so I'v managed to come a long way. But somehow things don't seem to wok out.
When I use the same SSID on the TP-linkrouter as I use on the moden/router, the TP-link is undetectable.
When I use different SSID's, it works well. Now it's not a very big deal when I run 2 SSID's except, it should be possible to have alle modem and routers on one and the same SSID, not?
perhaps the problem lies in the fact that both routers ( used as AP's ) are TP-links, and the modem-router is a Draytek?
Options
2015-06-23 15:23:17
Do you mean the Draytek is also sending a wireless signal?
Options
2015-06-24 16:31:41
Yes it is.
Options
2015-06-24 16:44:55
First, with a 40MHz channel bandwidth, do you understand it's impossible to use 3 wireless signals without interferences?
Second, what are the 3 channels you're using?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 9

Related Articles