Poor 5MHZ Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor 5MHZ Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Poor 5MHZ Range
Poor 5MHZ Range
2015-06-29 02:36:51
I read this in interest as I am experiencing very poor range on the 5MHZ band and there is no configuration to increase the power transmit level for it unlike the 2.4MHZ band I have on Max since it is just acceptable but not fantastic. The high band however is quite poor even in a small 1200 Sq Ft house with wood only bare 1- or 2 bars on my cell phone < 30ft away while at my computer. If I step outside I soon drop the connection. I should be much much better than this.

I sent an report off to TP-Link via their website link but did not receive anything back after submitting it.

I am using the WDR4300 model which should be a great router. At least feature and spec wise it should.

File:
WDR4300.gifDownload
Options
14 Reply
Re:Poor 5MHZ Range
2015-06-29 14:43:18
The lower the frequency the farther a wireless signal can travel. Therefore, devices on a 5 GHz network will tend to have a shorter range than those using 2.4 GHz
Options
2015-06-29 20:31:37
Hi,

Probably, you need to use a range extender:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/list-10.html
Options
2015-06-30 12:33:24
5GHz band is more suppressed by wall than 2,4GHz
Options
5ghz
2015-06-30 21:19:52

jimasek wrote

5GHz band is more suppressed by wall than 2,4GHz

We always have some walls to deal with in a house and even going outside from a closet its in. Going out it and the outside wood/vinyl house wall it only links up barely I am close. 20ft away and nothing. Its extremely weak in my opinion. I have to have my computers that close I might a well have a patch cable. But its a portable device so its not possible.

It needs more output power and the firmware doesn't offer an output setting for this band.

What is with the RANDOM QUESTION !!! I have to hunt Google each time to find the answer. This is bad!!! How to turn it off for messaging.
Options
2015-07-16 05:54:32
Well looks like TP Link doesn't have a solution nor care about their range being poor. I shouldn't need a range extender if it have a reasonable strength transmitter.
Clearly TP LINK doesn't care and with the external 3 antennas on this 4300 it really a joke for range.

I won't be recommending their product nor selling the to anyone anymore. I'll let my dealer know.
Options
2015-07-16 13:31:51

Tripplec wrote

Clearly TP LINK doesn't care and with the external 3 antennas on this 4300 it really a joke for range. I won't be recommending their product nor selling the to anyone anymore. I'll let my dealer know.

I disagree, this is not a TP-Link issue but a technological limitation !

My Netgear is not better than my TP-Link for this point...
Options
2015-07-16 15:20:33

Tripplec wrote

Clearly TP LINK doesn't care and with the external 3 antennas on this 4300 it really a joke for range. I won't be recommending their product nor selling the to anyone anymore. I'll let my dealer know.

I disagree, this is probably not a TP-Link issue but a technological limitation !

May be with Broadcom chips (Archer C8 or C9) supporting beamforming, your situation would be different...
Options
2015-07-16 18:48:16

Tripplec wrote

Well looks like TP Link doesn't have a solution nor care about their range being poor. I shouldn't need a range extender if it have a reasonable strength transmitter.
Clearly TP LINK doesn't care and with the external 3 antennas on this 4300 it really a joke for range.

I won't be recommending their product nor selling the to anyone anymore. I'll let my dealer know.

either TP-Link or all other wireless brands (like Cisco, Linksys, D-Link etc) all are having same 5 ghz range issues...
so u can't blame only on TP-link for shorter range :)
Options
2015-09-13 05:47:44
I am not an early adopter. 5GHZ has been out for some time and chipset used and firmware should be mature. Yet,I barely get two bars on 5GHz and can get a full house on 2.4GHZ at the same spot even moving further away. I wanted dual band for higher transfer rates a another access port for streaming since 2.4GHZ will bog down if a lot of devices are using it. I am tethered to remain very close to maintain a reasonable signal for this to work.

With 3 antennas it should be better. I had a 9db antenna I used on a USB adapter for long range a while back on an old notebook. I tried it on each of the existing antenna ports overtime. Booting the router after each change. There was no increase in signal for my 5GHZ connection. I was shocked at that. This is horrible. I shouldn't need to use an extender or another box to get range this 3 antenna WiFi router has. Something needs to be looked into here.
Options
2015-09-13 08:00:07
I had E4200 running DD-WRT before I replaced it with C9. Both bands range has reasonably improved over the E4200.
C9 did not completely solve my range and dead spots issue in my home but it helped with 90% of them.

That being said I have noticed from time to time(2-3 times a day) I lose connections to the router but it recovers within a few mins. It is very annoying to say the least.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1253

Replies: 14

Related Articles