Poor 5MHZ Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor 5MHZ Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Poor 5MHZ Range
2016-06-15 22:23:44
Well, I am back at this again and looking for a solid solution. I have for the 5th time tried my WDR4300 from the basement (moved and routed all cables and cable modem there, UPS Powered) to beam from their to the above floor which is wood. It centrally located but still range and signal strength is a problem. The 2.4GHZ range is far less than the 2Wire Bell Canada supplied DSL router I used here for a long time. High speed cable became available and I switch to cable. All my traffic goes through this TP=Link router. I have a 9db Tplink antenna which if connect as it is now does nothing to improve this situation which is maddening. Power output cannot be controller/increase via their 3rd party firmware (they say its written by 3rd parties).

I believe I need to find a quality dual band router with true high powered output and support USB devices for file sharing if possible as I am sure it is. One notebook I have supports 450mb/sec 11n but even this router is behind the times on this. However having said that I am lucky to get a 200mb/s connect due to low signal level where its located.

This is maddening in this day and age of router tech. We are enduring with these issues. I started running some patch cables but everything does not have RJ45 port or would work because it is being moved about.

What routers do you find to REALLY WORK WELL?
Options
2016-06-19 22:42:04
I tried DD-WRT for a few days on this. No improvement in range despite adjusting power settings with it. Stream became a problem including Netflix which I did not have before. I reverted back to the TP Link firmware.
Options
2016-06-21 09:45:27

Tripplec wrote

I tried DD-WRT for a few days on this. No improvement in range despite adjusting power settings with it. Stream became a problem including Netflix which I did not have before. I reverted back to the TP Link firmware.

It seems that an issue caused by the 5GHz band itself. As we know, 5GHz band has a higher working frequency, which is easier to be reducted, especially by the walls and other obstacles, when transmit data.
So I think it's not really a problem with the router but the frequency.
Options
2016-07-30 09:26:00
i thing so
Options
Related Articles