WR740N admin web page stops being accessible after a while

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-06-30 15:23:55
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :
3.12.4 Build 100910 Rel.57694n (most recent AFAIK)

ISP :
Bell Canada Sympatico ADSL

After the router has been running for a while it becomes impossible to access its administration web page, either remotely or locally. The router continues to work in other respects.

There is a web page at TP-link that addresses this question, but the only solutions it offers do not apply here (they blame the computers attempting to access the router's adming web page, for example).

I can continue to ping the router.

Google has shown me other people who have had this issue, but apparently no solution was found by them.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix it.

This is an old WR-740N v1.
Options
2 Reply
Re:WR740N admin web page stops being accessible after a while
2015-07-01 01:32:59
Internet is plugged into WAN port of the router?
Options
Re:WR740N admin web page stops being accessible after a while
2015-07-01 04:29:17

jimasek wrote

Internet is plugged into WAN port of the router?
Yes, I have a functioing ADSL modem plugged into the WAN port, which should be clear since, as I mentioned, the internet works fine even when the router's web server no longer works. I can still access the internet from the local machines on the network. And the local machine that accepts VNC connections can be logged into remotely, so the port redirection on the router is also still working. (Actually, all of these will eventually stop working too, but that is not what I am asking about right now. This can be fixed remotely by rebooting the router, so it is not as serious when it happens. However, when the web server of the router stops working it is far worse since once cannot fix this remotely, but has to handle router physically).

Also, it clearly cannot be a problem of something plugged in incorreclty, since everything works at first. The router's web server does work at first for a while, but eventually stops working. It cannot be accessed remotely from the internet, but nor can it be accessed locally from local machines. So this is not an internet problem and it should not matter whether the modem is plugged in to the WAN port or not. The problem arises even for the local machines regardless of whether the internet is being used.

When one cannot access the web page, in short, everything else still works. Telnet to port 80 gives connection refused, rather than a stealthy no reply, so that the port is still open in the firewall as well. One can still ping the router, both over the internet and locally.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 2

Related Articles