Archer C7 1750 usage of the "client" function aka WDS bridge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-14 04:57:24
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

hi,
I have gotten 2x Archer C7 and I want to configure one of them as the access point, the other will be a "WLAN client"
The one I wanted to be my AP is connected to a cable modem without WLAN.
Either I can switch NAT off and give the LAN aa IP from the "internal" modem network then I can connect with my laptio via Wifi to the internet
Or I can switch NAT on, give the LAN another IP address... via Wifi I can still connect the internet.

But the other one - connected it via LAN cable and tried various things.
I was able to connect it to both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz network when enabling "WDS bridging".

When I activate the NAT at the AP then I can "see" parts of the internet, but randomly I get name resolutions or not, and after that some HTML but with literally no bandwidth... my cable has 120 Mbit that is not the bottleneck.
When I deactivate the NAt, give the client, the AP and my laptop via LAN cable some fixed IP's in the range of the cable modem's internal network I can connect to both configuration websites but no internet at all although my cable modem can do DNS forwarding, and I also configured 2 name servers like the 8.8.8.8 from Google.

My question is:
does the WDS bridge require NAT to work?
Are there some special things to consider when using the C7 as WLAN client of another C7?

What I want:
I have sort of private datacenter with LAN-only, e.g. having a WSUS which is quite bandwith consuming and a media center server - but I don't want to drill holes for ethernet cables :-)
So the three hosts I have there are connected to a switch, the switch is connected to the WLAN client (which actually does about 6 Mbit, the current access point is an older TPLink AP) and that WLAN client should be replaced to something much more powerful like the AC7

Even if I get only 10% of the theoretical bandwidth it should give me the full 120 Mbit - the 5 GHz band has 1.3 GBit and the 2.4 GHz band has 450 Mbit of gross capacity....distance is just 15 feet/5 meters
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C7 1750 usage of the "client" function aka WDS bridge
2015-08-14 16:07:04
As there is no router in your network, how did you share internet with a cable modem?
Connect them in the following way and configure WDS on the second C7.
Cable Modem((LAN)---(WAN)C7>>>WDS<<< http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-440.html
Options
2015-08-14 19:06:10
thansk for the hint...
the cable modem does the routing - the TV cable connection has the public IP, the eternet ports at the Modem have the "local" lan address NATting the internal network.

BTW whn I tye too fast this ditor window eats up letters :-(
Options
2015-08-15 00:37:52
works for now... I was victim of one of the DHCP servers still being active.
But that wasn't the root cause... having WDS on 2.4 and on 5 GHz active is definitively a very very bad idea.
The current firmware versions can't handle this... it works or it doesn't work.

Your document states "there is no need". But it should say "it doesn't work reliably".

WDS on 5 GHz only really rocks... a net data transfer rate of 200 and more Mbit per second through 2 thick concrete walls and 20 ft distance is definitively awesome :-)
Options
2015-08-15 02:08:30

ojutan wrote

having WDS on 2.4 and on 5 GHz active is definitively a very very bad idea.

WDS can't run at the same time on 2.4 and 5GHz !
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1039

Replies: 4

Related Articles