Archer C9_V1_150811 new firmware crashes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-29 03:12:12
Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version :V1

Firmware Version : 150811

ISP :

I installed new firmware (150811). Shortly after, the devices were unable to connect to router. I got the message " No ip designated to devices". This happened to almost all devices, and later I was without internet. I wonder if anybody has similar experience. Rebooting, setting to factory default, did not work. I switched back to older firmware.
Options
23 Reply
Archer C9_V1_150811 Fails.
2015-08-29 07:44:42

kors wrote

ISP :

I installed new firmware (150811). Shortly after, the devices were unable to connect to router. I got the message " No ip designated to devices". This happened to almost all devices, and later I was without internet. I wonder if anybody has similar experience. Rebooting, setting to factory default, did not work. I switched back to older firmware.

Yeah, I had the same issue. It seems to start out OK, but then wireless devices couldn't connect to it or took forever to connect and then by morning nothing worked. I had to had to reset the firmware to defaults before it would even let me connect to it again. I went back to 3.17.0, which works well.

Hopefully they can fix this! Or they are going to get a lot of returns, not everyone is going to be fix this on their own!

-Alex
Options
Re:Archer C9_V1_150811 new firmware crashes
2015-08-29 16:53:13
I hope I do not have the same experience because I like the new GUI.
Options
Bug in 150811 / Archer C9 CONFIRMED
2015-08-29 19:34:00

kors wrote

ISP :

Same with me. Version 507 working fine for months. Installed 811, worked at first but then after a while one of our laptops would no longer connect on 802.11ac on 5GHz. Switching to 2.4GHz did work.

At first I thought it was related to my default list of DHCP reservations (MAC -> same IP address each time), but now I'm not so sure this is related.

I factory reset so I could load previous firmware (507). All loaded OK, and reloaded my previous config file, still OK. Ran this fine for 4 hours.
I then retried 811, I lost contact from laptop again withing 30 mins. Not good.

Downgraded to 507 again (!) and I have been working fine for 12 hours and counting.

I hope someone at TP-Link reads these posts, and gets the engineers back onto fixing the firmware!! It is is quite unusual these days to mess up these releases.

While I'm here - two ANNOYING features of TP-LINK routers:

1) Changing firmware loses your config. There is no reason for this - they need a more universal config file structure.
2) The backup config files between the versions I just tried were incompatible. This means that I had to set up about 10 IP reservations by hand again, and then save a new config file. Very tedious.

Steve
Options
2015-08-29 22:35:17

Almaretto wrote

I hope I do not have the same experience because I like the new GUI.

Yes I prefer it too.

My router is worked pretty hard - 3x PC, Ipod, Phone, Smart TV, NAS box, and 2x kindles connected in some combination 24x7!
2.4G, 5G and wired ethernet in use. Lots of iPlayer use too.

I can pretty much break mine on demand I reckon. Often, firmware breaks owing to a resource leak, a race condition or an unhandled error, and typically breaks more often if heavily used! You may be OK!
Options
Same firmware more issues
2015-08-30 10:30:00
I'm sad to see that there are more problems with this firmware.

For some reason they moved the WDS feature from the Wireless->Settings down to "System Parameters"... still trying to get it to work :(
Options
2015-08-30 14:10:14
Sadly I'm having a lot of data stalling with the 2.4Ghz band which is still the common connection to some important devices. Going to have to reset the device or go revert back to an older firmware. FYI I haven't been able to get WDS to work but after finally going through the new firmware interface I was able to finally locate the WDS feature under system parameters. I'm sure this is related to just using an old router bit I hope I can figure it out.
Options
2015-08-30 17:24:40

freemansteve wrote

Yes I prefer it too.

My router is worked pretty hard - 3x PC, Ipod, Phone, Smart TV, NAS box, and 2x kindles connected in some combination 24x7!
2.4G, 5G and wired ethernet in use. Lots of iPlayer use too.

I can pretty much break mine on demand I reckon. Often, firmware breaks owing to a resource leak, a race condition or an unhandled error, and typically breaks more often if heavily used! You may be OK!

The average connected for me is around 15, but I have up to 25-30 reserved IPs. I use 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and wired connection plus powerlines and switches.
I have UPnP and WDS disabled.

After the first bad report, I have held off on attempting the upgrade. Though downgrading does not seem to be an issue, which is not always the case, so I may try.
I am not looking for any functional/performance improvements but I definitely thought the user interface could use a makeover. It is a WIP, but menus I saw in new UG were a good start.
Options
2015-09-01 10:01:14
I went ahead and rolled the dice. Currently, I am up and running on Firmware Version: 4.0.0 Build 20150811 Rel. 57388.

To be safe, I ended up backing up my settings. Factory reset using just the router's digital interface. Unplugged everything except my ethernet connection and the power cable to the router. Loaded the firmware. Set the Lan IP. Plugged in and power cycled modem. Ran setup wizard (for fun, never did before)-I disabled wifi but used the same settings as before. Proceeded to manually configure other settings (reserved ips, etc) without restoring anything. Once fully setup, I power cycled and rebooted the modem and router. Lastly, I connected other cat5 cables to powerline adapters and enabled wifi.

It has been about 7 hours since install. How long until other ran into issues?

For me, I have run into some minor glitches, but no real problems. I never had trouble logging into router before. When switching from lan to wifi, I got a few error messages that another user (my mac address) was managing; yet I had no trouble logging in and out with phone. Also, the previous version would allow me to stay logged in; now, it seems like no times passes and I have to log in again.
The 5Ghz connected right away. Windows was able to view the 2.4Ghz wifi but for some reason the signal was greyed out and my system took about 10-15 seconds to connect to it.

It has been nice being able to add descriptors to the reserved ips. Devices had no trouble being assigned reserved or new ips within the preset range.

I definitely wish I could hide certain menus or sections for functions I never touch. Certain pages are rather long. For example, on the Status Page under the Advanced Tab, there are details about the network & wifi, then boxes for stuff I do not use (Printers/USB/Guest Networks), and lastly a nice list of wired and wifi clients.

Overall, I wish I could have just loaded presaved client details, but otherwise it seems to be working out pretty well.
Options
2015-09-08 04:14:00

kors wrote

I installed new firmware (150811). Shortly after, the devices were unable to connect to router. I got the message " No ip designated to devices". ...

I ran into the same problem today (I think), after upgrading the firmware to 150811 my devices seemed not to get their IP addresses renewed. The DHCP server worked first, but when a lease expired it was not renewed. I did not run deeper diagnostics, some devices kept working, but one windows XP (oh yeah) and one WIndows 8 device I forced to release their lease and after that they didn't find a DHCP server anymore.

I think the subject line of the thread is misleading, nothing crashes, only the DHCP leases do not get renewed by the C9.

Btw., rebooting the C9 did not help, only after a factory restore did I get the DHCP leases back in those two test cases. Needless to say, after that I immediately downgraded to the 150507 firmware.

Volker
Options
Anyone else experience issues with Basic Network Map and USB Drives?
2015-09-08 06:21:09
With "Archer_C9_V1_150811.zip" firmware,

Basic Network Map: did not show any Wired or Wireless Clients, even though they were connected. The associated tables were also empty.

I have a Flash Drive connected to each USB port. "Scan" could not find them and showed a red x, even though the Flash Drives worked in both Network Neighborhood and FTP.

All this was before I even set up any Address Reservations.

Too many bugs in this firmware. So I went back to "Archer_C9_V1_150507.zip", which works just fine.

I emailed [EMAIL="support.usa@tp-link.com"]support.usa@tp-link.com[/EMAIL] about these issues.
Their response: "I have tested the new "Archer_C9_V1_150811.zip" firmware of the Archer C9. I have attached the test result as an attachment ,please check it. The Basic Network Map shows every thing is working fine .And I have plug the memory card into the USB port of the C9 and I can access to it . (Please check if you have done some settings on the router page "Advanced > DHCP Server > Address Reservation" ,We can't type in a "space" or " # " in to the "Description bar ",Otherwise ,all the devices can't be detected by the router .It's a bug for the firmware ,and we will release a bate firmware to solve the problem.)"
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1923

Replies: 23