V2 C7 Bridge Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

V2 C7 Bridge Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
V2 C7 Bridge Mode
V2 C7 Bridge Mode
2015-09-12 22:00:27
My current network setup includes a cable modem router provided by cable company. i have a d-link gigabit switch connected to it and behind it to Apple Extreme base station routers in bridge mode. The Apple routers are used to connect wired devices both in the living room and in the guest room upstairs. They are also used as wireless APs with 2 different SSIDs in order to provide optimal coverage in my house. DHCP for the entire setup is handled by the cable modem-router. This allows to tablets and phones to switch between the two APs without having to change IP addresses. It also allows me to stream content from my NAS to all devices in the house.

As one of the apple routers is already quite old, i decided to replace it by a new router, and chose the Archer C7 based on the good reviews it has. i received the C7 today and tried to configure it in bridge mode. I follwed instructions I saw in this forum to connect the C7 in the LAN port and disbale DHCP, but never got the setup to work completely. The C7 seemed to have messed up with the overall setup as I managed to get devices connected to it directly to work, but all other devices in my LAN could no longer work. I could no longer access my cable modem and I could not access the internet from any devices connected to my other Apple router or directly to my switch. It seems the C7 cannot provide a "real" bridge mode in stock firmware.

before selling the router (not sure I can return it after having opened it :( ), can I get this functionality to work using another firmware (Open WRT or dd-WRT)? I have the V2 C7.

thanks in advance for any advice!
Options
3 Reply
Re:V2 C7 Bridge Mode
2015-09-14 11:44:47
C7 can work as an access point indeed. Did you change IP address of C7? Now if you disconnect it from the network, all clients work with your modem router and apple extreme?
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78963-Can-someone-post-their-settings-config-file-for-Archer-c7-v2-as-an-AP&p=156734&viewfull=1#post156734
Options
2015-09-15 01:29:32

Mavis wrote

C7 can work as an access point indeed. Did you change IP address of C7? Now if you disconnect it from the network, all clients work with your modem router and apple extreme?
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78963-Can-someone-post-their-settings-config-file-for-Archer-c7-v2-as-an-AP&p=156734&viewfull=1#post156734

I further tested various setups and even flashed open-wrt. I cannot get this to work correctly. it is frustrating that a setup that can be configured in two clicks with the Apple Router (and to my understanding with Linksys routers) is a pain to get on this one.
Every time I tried to get to bridge mode (disabling DHCP essentially and setting up a fixed IP in the same NAT range used by cable router), i ended messing up my entire setup. so for now the C7 is back in its box and the Apple router connected again....
Options
2015-09-15 17:52:36
Actually it's all right for you to setup the C7 with DHCP enable to if you want to realize that the clients upstair don't need to change their IP address when shift to another AP.
But in this way you have to enable the NAT function on C7.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1338

Replies: 3

Related Articles