Archer C5 randomly dropping ICMP packets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-14 20:52:41
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My new (not working properly) setup is HG612 VDSL modem connected to the Archer C5 WAN port. All connecting to the Internet just fine according to the status page (Dynamic IP, the provider is TalkTalk, a UK provider)

The problem. (HG612 connected to phone line, and LAN1 connected to WAN port of Archer C5, setup which has previously worked no problem with an older router). I use Somkeping, which gives me information around latency and packet loss to various hosts of my choosing. In the week or so that I'd been using my previous setup, I have absolutely no packet loss to the Talktalk VDSL gateway, Google and OpenDNS DNS servers. However, I switched over to the TP-Link Archer C5 and I've noticed packet loss (varying from 1% to 10%) in Smokeping, which appears to follow some sort of regular frequency. I tested this on an ethernet connected PC connected directly to the Tp-Link and noticed the same thing (almost a packet lost every x pings, around 30 or so). I originally thought it was the HG612 or some random coincidence with TalkTalk, so I checked using the TP-Link web interface and starting pinging an OpenDNS server, at the same time as the connected PC (using ethernet). Bizarrely enough, the TP-Link showed no packet loss, while the ethernet connected PC showed the same behavior as previously. I have also checked the HG612 stats using DSL stats and all seems normal.

I've also tested the HG612 modem with another older Tp-Link router and I have no issues.

Smokeping over the last 3 hours
http://i.imgur.com/murZsbx.png
The drop-off or reduction in latency/green is where the old setup was reconnected, prior is the Archer C5

Smokeping over the last 30 hours
http://i.imgur.com/5hRCaY6.png
You can see the non-green areas where the packet loss was between small and large - this was using the Archer C5

So it looks like the TP-Link - anyone got any thoughts? I've already requested a replacement, but was hoping someone could help before the new unit arrives.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C5 randomly dropping ICMP packets
2015-09-15 17:29:29
Firmware of your C5 is up to date?
Options
2015-09-15 19:14:06

M Diamond wrote

Firmware of your C5 is up to date?

Yup, first thing I did was update the firmware, version as per Tp-Link download for Archer C5 (version 1.2 of router BTW, firmware Archer C5_V1.20_150428)
Options
2015-09-15 19:18:56
Things that I will test later based on some research I've done.

1) Turn off hardware NAT (interesting one of the firmware notes for the latest version includes hardware NAT enhancements) - does disabling hardware NAT mean I'm not behind any NAT or simply that it uses software to do NAT?
2) Reserve an IP address (even though the devices I'm testing are not in the allocated DHCP range).
Options
2015-09-16 09:55:32
Let's see if the replacement will solve the problem.
Options
2015-09-16 13:58:03

M Diamond wrote

Let's see if the replacement will solve the problem.

It didn't, the new one has exactly the same issue, I also tried disabling hardware NAT and it didn't solve the problem. I'm sending them both back.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1055

Replies: 5

Related Articles