archer C7 v2 just stops working after a few days. have to restart to fix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

archer C7 v2 just stops working after a few days. have to restart to fix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
50 Reply
Re:archer C7 v2 just stops working after a few days. have to restart to fix
2016-01-08 03:51:57
They're also now offering to replace mine after going back and forth for about a week doing various trouibleshootings and getting the same results -- internet dropping after 1-2 days. All my contact with them was done via email, I've learned not to waste my time and frustrations on the phone for things like this. :)

Could it be that they're aware that there's now clearly a problem? I'm surprised they're not pushing out a new firmware update though first. I also pointed them to this forum telling them of the countless people here, all of us with the same router and version number all having basically the same issue.
Options
2016-01-08 16:47:44
Johnny7 I'm glad to hear this. I'm getting my C7 situation remedy at the same time. What I've elected to do is to upgrade mine to the Archer 8. I went and looked thru the forums and found very few post (problem) with the C8.
My thinking was this, the C7 has tons of post, issues, why dont I upgrade my current -riddled with problems- to one that works and have very little posting on it. If I were to guess, it just works and no one is posting looking for fixes..
Price difference is 30$ so, lets do it.
Options
2016-01-08 17:09:21

RichRichardson wrote

Johnny7 I'm glad to hear this. I'm getting my C7 situation remedy at the same time. What I've elected to do is to upgrade mine to the Archer 8. I went and looked thru the forums and found very few post (problem) with the C8.
My thinking was this, the C7 has tons of post, issues, why dont I upgrade my current -riddled with problems- to one that works and have very little posting on it. If I were to guess, it just works and no one is posting looking for fixes..
Price difference is 30$ so, lets do it.

Good point, I think you just inspired me to do the same. Did you have to ask for that and then just pay the difference to them directly? I mean they're offering to just send a replacement and I guess I'd have to send the old one back, but I don't want to do so until they get me the new one. How did your process work with them?
Options
2016-01-08 17:18:26
Just a thought but I'm wondering how many of the people here are using a Windows Phone device either running Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone 8.1? i,e, Lumia.

There are apparently possible issues with Windows 10 Mobile and certain routers that I've read and I'm thinking this could be the similarity and from what I can recall my router is only disconnecting when I'm at home with my phone. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm away from my apartment. Or then it's just coincidence. I also took at look at my router logs last night and look at the attached. Every single minute there is an interaction between my Windows 10 Mobile device and my C7 router. That's not normal. Just a thought that this could be related to the problem (X1:X1:X1:X1:X1:X1 denotes the MAC address of my device for privacy reasons. Keep in mind that the last firmware upgrade on the C7 router was months before Windows 10 or Windows 10 Mobile was made available.

Options
2016-01-09 17:59:13
I just thought about the situation and requested it. It was not offerd. Once requested there was no fight. I was contacted. and they told me the price difference.
It good they are willing to stand behind the product. If it were not an option, I fairly certain I would be seriously looking at going elsewhere. SO I have to give them credit for making that allowance.
Buddie- I use an Iphone,
Options
2016-01-26 05:35:42
I bought an Archer C7 v2 a few months ago, and I'm seeing very similar issues as those described in this thread. It's sporadic (sometimes ~3/day, sometimes ~1/week), but all my devices (Ethernet and wireless) will simultaneously lose connection. Wireless network SSIDs disappear, and I'm not longer able to sign in to the router, even through a wired connection. It's not the ISP, and rebooting the modem doesn't help, but rebooting the C7 router will fix the issue every time. I've also seen just the 5GHz band drop, while Ethernet and 2.4GHz keep working.

It's a real shame---except for this problem, the Archer C7 has been a great router. Way better than my last one, and not too pricy.

Seeing this thread, I've started a support ticket with TP-Link. They're currently having me go through a number of troubleshooting steps. Among other things, they've asked me to change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, and to replace the Ethernet cable connecting my modem to the C7. We'll see.

To those who had their devices replaced: Are you still seeing any problems, or did a replacement unit fix the issue?

To johnny7: I too have a couple of Windows Phones in my household (one WP10 beta, one WP8.1), and I'm seeing the same pattern of frequent interaction as you show in your screenshot. Not sure if it has any connection to the problem.
Options
2016-02-05 16:13:09
Update: Well, it's been almost two weeks since I changed the DNS settings and swapped out the Ethernet cable, and I haven't noticed any drops. It may still be too early to tell, but so far it's looking good. Maybe I just had a flaky cable...
Options
2016-02-06 15:48:20
I replaced mine, refused to take another C7 so they sent the C9 as replacement. Been holding strong for 10 days now from what I can tell, however there's amazingly no "system uptime" information/details on the router settings when I access the router setup and settings from my browser. When I approached support about this lack of information, they were surprised that information was important to me and basically were talking to me un an entire different language. I likely will not purchase a TPlink product again in the future.As for the Windows Phone part, there is a known issue between Windows 10 Mobile and the constant interaction with certain routers as my logs showed in even grab above, however that's not related to the internet drops that C7 was experiencing instead will just be a drain on battery of your Lumia/Windows 10 smartphone.I ended up opting out of the Windows 10 Mobile Insiders Program and factory resetting my Lumia (950 XL). That resolved the issue of the constant WP interaction to router.
Options
I loose internet connectivity in my browser every 24 hours
2016-02-07 00:05:28

oreoman wrote

This is what the people from TP Link sent me and fixed the problem:

Please try to disable hardware NAT:
1.Log into the TP-LINK web interface(tplinkwifi.net): http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-87.html
2.NAT-->Hardware NAT Status-->disable-->save!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a different problem:
I loose the internet connection every 24 hours. The router seems OK and connected..... but in order to continue using the internet I have to perform a disconnect and reconnect again.
I just made the change that was recommended above and hope for the best.
Will update if relevant.

Hope it works for all of you
Options
2016-02-07 14:05:18
I went thru the RMA process, got a replacement C7 router from TP-Link, new ethernet cables...and the stupid replacement started doing the same stupid business as the one I shipped back...wifi dropping, unable to access via setup interface, all able to be solved with a reboot. I'm very unhappy that they sent me a replacement that has the same problem.
Options