Archer T4U with Windows 10 (64 bit)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-21 14:55:37
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have TL-WR841N(D) router and all the other devices in my network work fine except for my PC with Win 10 and T4U adapter. It just stops transfering data occasionally. It stays connected to the network but I can’t open any site or even connect to my other local devices (including router setup web-page). Sometimes it works fine for hours and sometimes it stops in a few minutes after PC startup. The only way to fix this problem is to unplug and plug the adapter back in again (even PC restart not always help). Does anybody else have the same issue?
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 and the adapter is connected to its USB3.0 port.
Options
42 Reply
Re:Archer T4U with Windows 10 (64 bit)
2015-09-28 19:10:34

Kid_A wrote

Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have TL-WR841N(D) router and all the other devices in my network work fine except for my PC with Win 10 and T4U adapter. It just stops transfering data occasionally. It stays connected to the network but I can’t open any site or even connect to my other local devices (including router setup web-page). Sometimes it works fine for hours and sometimes it stops in a few minutes after PC startup. The only way to fix this problem is to unplug and plug the adapter back in again (even PC restart not always help). Does anybody else have the same issue?
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 and the adapter is connected to its USB3.0 port.

I am having exactly the same problem here in Germany and from looking at Amazon reviews I am not the only one. Is this a hardware problem with some devices or is this a Windows 10 64bit driver problem. As it is right now, the stick is almost unuable with the sudden disconnects. TP-Link support team, please reply.
Options
2015-09-29 20:41:05

Johnny_R wrote

I am having exactly the same problem here in Germany and from looking at Amazon reviews I am not the only one. Is this a hardware problem with some devices or is this a Windows 10 64bit driver problem. As it is right now, the stick is almost unuable with the sudden disconnects. TP-Link support team, please reply.

I think I've found a solution for me, at least I had no disconnects for about 5 days since I've tried what I'm going to describe next.

First of all I've disabled "RunSwUSB" service. This is some Realtek service which launches "swusb" process on each startup, not sure what does it do, I don't seem to have any realtek devices on my PC, but keep in mind that if you do have, disabling it may cause those devices to work improperly. So if you still decide to try that out, open Windows Start menu, type "cmd" and launch command line, type "msconfig" there and hit enter. A window should open, click on tab "Services", find "RunSwUSB" in the list (can't guarantee that you have it though), uncheck it and press "Ok" and reboot your PC. After that, make sure that there's no "swusb" or "runsw" processes running (ctr + shift + esc, to show the list of running services).

The next thing may work only if you have (or had) a Kaspersky Antivirus installed. I think that It could decrease the protection level but in my case the internet stability is more important than security. So, if you're gonna try it, go to Control Panel, Network Connections (not sure how it's called in english version), there you should see all you network connections. Find your wi-fi adapter connection, right-click it and chose properties (again, not sure how it's in english but it must be the lower option), in Network tab you should see a list of components, find there "Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS 6 Filter", uncheck it and click "Ok". Not sure if you have to restart your PC after that, but I did.

Hope my instruction could help someone out! If you've tried all that and it didn't help you, you can switch everything back on the same way you've disabled it.
Options
2015-10-15 13:43:03
I've also nioticed that having VMWare Player installed may cause problems with internet connection. To prevent it while not using virtual machines, just disable all VMWare adapters in the list of network connections (which is in control panel). They are named something like "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1", the last digit can be random.
Options
2015-10-18 22:34:52
I've had a T4U for almost a year, working reasonably well on Win7. I went Win10 a few days ago and T4U didn't work properly on either band - it's on a powered USB3 hub, connecting to Netgear r6300v2 AC1750 router. On 5GHZ it will transfer a few hundred MB at the usual 28-ish MB/s, then drop the connection. On 2.4MHZ it maintained a good connection but slowed my mouse pointer to a jerky crawl (that problem seems to have mitigated - the mouse is still affected but usable for most things)

Edit> Disabling RunSwUSB is working so far (thanks KID_A) - transferred a 24GB folder without a drop. My device mgr does have a Realtek entry so not sure of conflicts - it shows

Network adapters
>802.11n Wireless LAN Card (the PC's built-in WiFi adapter)
>Leaf Networks Adapter (Ethernet port I assume?)
>Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (?)
>TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter

So I don't know if the Realtek was original equipment or came with the T4U. ( can't tell from device event logs as they all appear to have reset to the Win10 install date...)

I noticed that RunSwUSB was the only service in the list with "unknown" manufacturer so I'm leery of it regardless...
Options
2015-10-22 06:01:36
Oops - had another disconnect today. It wouldn't be that much of a problem except that it completely disables my mouse. I can't reset, turn it off and on, replace it with a wired mouse - only a restart gets it back. TP-Link is causing the problem, but Microsoft bears just as much of the blame for being unable to recover from the error...
Options
2015-10-22 16:16:49
Ok, so I had similar issues with the stick disconnecting and not working and was close to give up, however I seem to have found a work-around. Working without issues for several days now:

I connected the stick to a normal USB2.0 directly in the backpanel of my motherboard and am just using the standard Windows 10 drivers without installation of any TP-Link software. This might not be an ideal solution, but for my case it is fine and the disconnects are gone. I will leave it at that until TP-Link releases a driver that can support Windows 10. It seems the issues of disconnects are caused by the combination of the default Windows 10 driver and using USB3.0

Give it a shot and let me know if it worked for you as well :)

Best regards,
Jonas
Options
2015-10-22 20:14:20
I just had another crash, so I'm trying it on a USB2 port now. It transferred a file OK, and at a respectable 22MB/s so 2x the 2.4GHZ USB3 speed, and no interference with mouse during xfer. I didn't uninstall the driver though - that will be the next step.

I don't think I mentioned before that the mouse receiver is also on the USB3 hub, possibly contributing to the problem - unfortunately the tower is on the floor and mouse reception isn't good enough on its USB2 ports. If all else fails I'll start over with a wired mouse on a USB2 port..

Edit> One other odd thing is that windows reported an IP conflict - I can't tell if it caused the disconnect or happened while reconnecting, but the last time I saw that issue was about 3 routers ago...

Edit2> Close to 24 hours of USB2 use now with no crashes - probably only 8-10 GB of file transfers but still encouraging...

Edit3> Still no problems after a week - fairly light use though...

Options
2015-11-16 14:28:25
I just bought this USB AC adapter based on the fact that it is working according to tp-link's website via "plug&play". Nothing is less true at least for me as I have exact the same problem.
Hoping they will release a fix soon.
Options
2015-11-16 21:13:51
I've moved about 500GB across the link since switching to USB2 3 weeks ago, and had my first crash yesterday. I noticed that the transfer that crashed was only going at about 10MB/s, but I didn't check the connection. When I rebooted to recover from the crash, some Win10 updates were installed. I was still only getting 10MB/s, so checked connection and it had dropped to the 2.4ghz band. Reconnected to 5ghz and so far so good. Most likely I was on 2.4ghz when the crash occurred, so that might be a factor...
Options
2015-11-16 23:49:20
The unstable connection problem has returned to me. Maybe it's because of some windows automatic updates. OMG, tp-link, it's about 3 months since win10 release and still no proper driver! Shame on you!
Options