Separate Wi-fi connections using the same equipment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-22 22:46:58
Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

I have seen with some organisations two wi-fi connections - one for the staff and therefore secured, and one for visitors for which the password is more freely available.

We have a TL-WA850 range extender installed, purely as the walls in the building are quite thick and the signal does drop away quite noticeably. When I was installing the extender some of the instructions suggested that having two SSID's was possible, and I was wondering whether this would give us the two connections I have seen elsewhere.

Am I right that this could be done with one RE, or would I need to do it with a second RE feeding off the existing wireless broadband signal? Or am I barking the wrong tree completely?? Our broadband connection was recently upgraded to 'superfast' so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Separate Wi-fi connections using the same equipment
2015-09-23 14:10:55
It is true that extender's SSID can be different from main router's SSID, but it is not working as guest network feature you expected.
As the range extender is used to extend Wi-Fi network, normally, it should be placed in the middle of the router and client with poor or no Wi-Fi signal. You will only be able to connect to the extender then.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 491

Replies: 1

Related Articles