secure network using mac address only?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-26 01:01:15
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to figure out if I can setup my Archer C5 in such a manner that it will allow network and internet access only PC's and smartphones, that have their MAC address manually registered in the administration panel.
I want to use open network without any security setting (both LAN and 2.5 and 5 GHz wi-fi) so user do not have to add a password/kode for access - but at the same time only allow known MAC adresse to use the network.
I have found that passwords unfortunately are not always kept secret but are shared with friends etc. - whereas a network, where acces is controlled purely by MAC address, cannot be used by uninvited guests :-)

I would appreciate, if anyone know who this can be setup on an Archer C5, that they share how to set this up with me :)
Options
6 Reply
Re:secure network using mac address only?
2015-09-28 16:22:00
Can you provide a screenshot of dropdown menu of wireless 2.4GHz?
As I checked the emualtor, there is wireless mac filtering option. But not sure if it is the same as your configuration page as maybe the UI is updated.
What's the current firmware version of your C5?
Options
2015-09-28 16:46:11

Ivanhoe55 wrote

I want to use open network without any security setting (both LAN and 2.5 and 5 GHz wi-fi) so user do not have to add a password/kode for access - but at the same time only allow known MAC adresse to use the network.

You mean you want to connect to C5 without inputing the password but once somebody don't know the MAC address of your router couldn't have access to it?
In this way you can only use Access Control. However, it's absolutely more inconvenient!
Options
2015-09-29 15:30:48
You mean you want to connect to C5 without inputing the password but once somebody don't know the MAC address of your router couldn't have access to it?
In this way you can only use Access Control. However, it's absolutely more inconvenient!

No I want to be able to add all known mac adresses for my PC's, iPhones and other smartphones - so the router recognizes them and only allow them access.
I hope to be able to avoid setting up a password - since It has been my experience that passwords get shared and therefore I cannot be sure who is using my network.

I want this to work for wires as well as Wi-Fi connected devices.

The router will have the lastes firmware installed.
Options
2015-09-30 10:15:59
I think it is enough to configure wireless mac filtering as wired clients have to connect by cable and no password is required.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-324.html

If you want to block wired clients, you have to configure access control. It is not quite simple...
Options
2015-09-30 15:34:39
@ M Diamond

Thanks m8 - thought that was the way to do it but was not sure that it would actively deny entry to other Wi-Fi units. :)

Still want to add the wired units as well - so I avoid someone (staff) plugging into the network with an unregistered unit - is there anywhere I can look at a manual/description of how to set up access control?
Options
2015-09-30 16:39:45
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 684

Replies: 6

Related Articles