TL-WR702N: Resets configuration and turns on DHCP server without notice: DO NOT USE!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR702N: Resets configuration and turns on DHCP server without notice: DO NOT USE!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-10-06 06:43:25
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've had several hours of extra work and much anger in a network where I need several accesspoints.

The problem:

If the TL-WR702N thinks it has no WAN access or if WAN is temporarily interrupted for whatever reason, they erase their config and return to the initial mode where each box offers a friggin' DHCP SERVER! This is poisonous as they have to be tracked down one by one and nailed shut. I hate it and can not recommend to use TL-WR702N at all, besides the usual "admin / admin" default "password".

To the developers: Only a manual hardware reset with a pin should erase any config. I want them to hold their config no matter how often they get unplugged from whatever side.

DHCP server should in ANY case only be active for max. one hour from start. I do not know a single case where I expect a tiny accesspoint to manage IPs for a network and not the router.

This is hell.. and that's why I will be changing about 30 TL-WR702N for a product of another manufacturer!
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WR702N: Resets configuration and turns on DHCP server without notice: DO NOT USE!
2015-10-08 17:44:20
To avoid such a problem, change Address Type from Smart IP to Static IP and set each of them a proper IP address which is in the same subnet as the main network.
Options
Re:TL-WR702N: Resets configuration and turns on DHCP server without notice: DO NOT USE!
2015-10-09 14:26:09
That might be one guess. How about fixing the bug?

If the accesspoint can't work properly in DHCP mode, DHCP mode should not be sold. I even suspect that this would not solve the problem. It's lke saying: If Word does not work, write your letters in Excel..

The SSID would also change - so are we expected to only use the predefined SSI and password? You can't be serious.
Options
2015-10-10 10:39:27
Did you try what I said?
If you select the type of Smart IP (DHCP) and there is a DHCP server forward, the DHCP server in this device will not start up. Otherwise, DHCP server will start up.
Options
2015-10-16 16:19:56
The problem is:

When I switch it to fixed IP I will not be able to notice all devices if I swap the main router, especially when I do that from remote.

It could be that the main router wants to assign different gatewas to different accesspoints or maybe deliver other DNS server addresses to the APs. When using fixed IPs, I have to update every single device with every change in the topology.

DHCP has been invented to solve this problem. It might happen that the gateway disappears (viewn from the AP) - maybe a user unplugged a cable temporarily? The internet connection drops for an hour? What I do NOT want then is that the device turns on its DHCP server. Why should it ever think it is responsible for delivering internet to anyone? That's what a DHCP service is for.

And by the way: What is "Smart IP" good for, if you say I should switch to fixed IP?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 861

Replies: 4

Related Articles