Archer C9 as Access Point - Guest Wifi not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-10-07 02:25:20
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there,

Today I got my Archer C9 and I cannot get the Guest wifi to work (everything else works great :)). I suspect it is because I use it as an access point.
The Guest wifi is available, but it is not connected to the internet.

My network setup is the following:

The modemrouter from my provider acts as the DHCP server and gateway and its wifi is disabled. It 'lives' in the electricity meter cupboard.
In my living room the Archer C9 is connected to the modemrouter and I configured the C9 as an access point.
That is: no cable in the WAN port, DHCP disabled and its IP-address is below the DHCP range of the modemrouter.

My guess is that the Guest network functionality needs an internet connection via the WAN port and I guess this also counts for the automatic time settings (that also does not work, tried multiple NTP servers).

So my question is: can I get Guest network functionality to work in my situation?
And if yes, how?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C9 as Access Point - Guest Wifi not working
2015-10-08 16:55:55
Options
2015-10-10 15:35:30
Hi Mavis, thanks for your response.

Allowing guests to access my internal network does fix the problem of Guest Wi-fi not working.
But having guests roaming free on my internal network is not a reason why I wanted a Guest Wi-fi, I wanted to isolate them with no access to my network.
So this option is a no-go for me.
Options
2015-10-11 01:11:22
You have to connect TP-Link by WAN port.
Options
2015-10-11 16:04:48
Hi,

With all the TP-Link routers, automatic Date/Time update and wireless guest networking work only when the WAN port is used...

The TP-Link routers are just entry-point products...
Options
2015-10-11 16:57:50
jimasek and HiSpeed, thanks for responding.

I already feared that using the WAN port is the only resolution for the problem.

Thanks for the confirmation. This thread can be closed.
Options
2016-07-16 22:03:52
Gentlemen,

I am facing the same issue as Robin and I don't understand what the solution is. All instructions on how to configure an access point prescribe connecting the routers via LAN ports.

Any insight is much appreciated.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1002

Replies: 6

Related Articles