TL-WR702N - Finally got it going, but did I have to do this?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-10-17 12:34:52
Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 4.18.102 Build 141203 Rel.61146n

ISP : Optus Cable

4.18.102 Build 141203 Rel.61146n

Hello,
I've just obtained a TL-WR702N Nano Router, with the intention of connecting it my Foxtel Satellite Receiver to allow me to Rent movies via an online connection.
Please Note Also: I performed a Factory Reset of this device as it is second-hand.

This Foxtel box doesn't have WiFi capability, so I've configured the Nano Router in Client Mode to join my existing home WiFi network.
The online guide at... http://www.tp-link.us/faq-612.html ...worked perfectly.

My Netgear WNR2020 Home WiFi Router is pretty much out of the box standard DHCP configuration, and all my PC's, Tablets & Smartphones never experience any issues.

After completing the Nano Router setup & doing the physical connection, I noticed a very odd thing from my Netgear admin webpage after examining its "Connected Devices".
The IP address assigned to the Nano Router was 192.168.2.13.
When I went to the Foxtel box to examine its network properties, I found that the IP address assigned to the Foxtel box was also 192.168.2.13.

Hmmm, even though the Foxtel box had a network status message as "Connected", it didn't work.

To cut a long story short, I had to assign a static IP to the nan Router of 192.168.2.200, (which is just outside of the range of my Netgear DHCP scope).
And I had to enable DHCP on the Nano Router, with the first address being 192.168.2.201.

It finally worked, and I am now able to hire movies from the Foxtel Store.

One other thing I need clarification on, is when I now go to my Netgear Admin page and look at the "Connected Devices", it reports the IP Address of the Foxtel box (.201), and there is no mention of the IP Address of the Nano Router, (.200). IS THAT NORMAL?

Oh!... and finally, one more thing.
The Foxtel box reports the Primary DNS as coming from the main Netgear Router, and the Secondary DNS as coming from the nano Router.
(see image).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 584

Replies: 0