Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
32 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - Parental Control Challenge
2016-03-18 09:38:23
Does anyone here got a solution on the parental control of C7? wondering cause we really want to use it thanks
Options
2016-03-18 18:31:59

guest123 wrote

Does anyone here got a solution on the parental control of C7? wondering cause we really want to use it thanks
My post #9 above might be of some use to you.

As I understand it... Parental Control is an incomplete implementation, but Access Control is an alternative. It is more complicated in that you'll have to set up the devices you want to manage with static IP addresses, but it will do the job. TP-Link are working on a fix for Parental Control, but that's been some time coming.

HTH
Rich
Options
re: access controls
2016-03-19 20:08:59
lb - I was wondering why you kept saying just ip address, then I realized that the original topic is for the C7.
Just an FYI - the C9 has access control per mac. I have my router set up allowing only known mac addresses. Hopefully, today I'll also wed the entries to a schedule.
Options
2016-03-24 17:16:14
This is what I sent to TP-Link.....

"Hi,
I have configured my VR900 to use opendns servers which gives us parental protection for what our children can access. My issue is that if the device (PC, Tablet) DNS settings are changed then the DNS filtering implemented by opendns can be circumnavigated.

So my question is what is DNS Relay? It is listed in the specifications for the VR900 but it is not anywhere within the management UI. Looking around the internet it appears that older routers had this in their management UI. Would this enable me to force devices on the network to use the DNS servers I have entered into my VR900?

And if not can you advise on how I can do this? Other routers appear to offer the option of blocking all IP addresses on the network from using port 53 for any other dns servers and forcing them to use the ones entered on the router. I cannot see how to do this using the VR900 Management UI.

I cannot use the rather limited parental controls provided by the VR900 as I need to use BOTH Blacklist AND Whitelist as follows:

At Night: Whitelist (www.123abliwuh.com) which will prevent my children from accessing anything other than this bogus site.
Daytime: Blacklist (various adult related keywords) which will prevent my children from accessing adult related content."

Basically TP-Link responded to confirm I can only use a blacklist OR whitelist, not BOTH.
And that DNS relay is NOT supported even though it is listed in the official specifications.

This is quite disappointing. The parental controls are very limited and very weak. And access control can not be used with a schedule.
Options
2016-03-25 17:19:25
Oh and the hoops you have to jump through to register and post on this forum are baffling. 24 hours for a post to be approved?
Options
2016-03-26 00:17:58
This ridiculous. It took 24 hours for TP-Link to approve my first post. And now 10 hours later I'm still not able to start my own thread.
Options
2016-03-27 05:34:42

BoutTime wrote

This ridiculous. It took 24 hours for TP-Link to approve my first post. And now 10 hours later I'm still not able to start my own thread.

Quite a long time considering, as far as I can tell, they do not monitor these threads that much and it is more peer-to-peer user communication.
Options
2016-06-15 17:17:13
I'll add myself to this. Just got a n600 modem router to replace the trash technicolor supplied modem which wouldn't even let me set opendns family filter reliably. and it is way faster than my 10yo us robotics but I am astonished that it is not possible on a brand new router to simply define a list of Mac addresses and the times these should be allowed access. This must be such a simple thing to code up. Simpler by far than the current situation of limiting specific Mac addresses to specific times om specific days. Come on tplink! New forum posts pop up in here requesting this on a regular basis. Fir now I have to manually switch on and off parental controls last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Please give your developers a kick to take this burden off my shoulders.
Options
2016-07-09 14:49:00

Jay55 wrote

Yes, I have reviewed these as well as others. Unless I am missing something these show you how to limit access for one device to a specific list of websites (and for specific times). If I understand this correctly the device can only access the sites your specify and can only do so during the times you specify. This isn't terribly helpful to me. For starters, I would like to be able to limit the time that any devices can access the internet (eg. no more access after 10pm). Also, may want to deny access for certain devices to certain sites.

I have seemingly found a way to limit internet access to all devices to a certain time. Although I am not sure I have set it up in the best way. What I did was under 'Access Control's. There I used the wizard to setup a rule where the HOST is defined as a range of IP addresses (which appears to cover all the devices on my network), a SCHEDULE that is defined as up to 10pm, a target of 'Any' (left target IP address as blank - not sure if that is way to do it), and a DEFAULT FILTER POLICY of 'Allow'. This appears to work which is great, however, have I done this in the right place and in the right way? When would I use the this Access Control setup as opposed to seemingly similar rule setup over in the parental control area? Also now how can I setup a rule here that denies access to certain site - because it seems that all the rules you list here must have the same filter policy (allow or deny).

T thing so!
Options
2016-07-28 10:40:38
Although I am not sure I have set it up in the best way. What I did was under 'Access Control's. I thing so!
Options