TD W9980 v1 Random loss of internet and resets itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-10-31 21:22:49
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

The router is connected to BT internet VDSL.

The router seems to be doing two things.

Firstly it loses sync and internet access. I can tell because all the lights remain green apart from the sync light and the internet light. This can happen up to 92 times a day. I know this because I have ping plotter recording the 100% packet loss. Also My ISP has been monitoring my line. This has to be a router problem because BT have changed absolutly everything. They change my master socket, switched copper pairs, replace line from my house to the pole. Switched me at the exchange (lift and switch) and most recently fitted a EMI filter to rule out REIN.

Secondly, and this is the weirdest. The router appears to reset itself. I watch the lights so I know it resetting. All the lights, apart from the power light, flash solid for a second and then go out. They then one by one start up again. I know it has reset because when I look in the settings the time I set to get from my computer has gone back to the default time of 1970. Now this is weird !!! it also loses the Admin/Admin password stuff so I have to factory reset it to get into the router settings.

What the heck could cause the router to spontaneously decided to lose password and lose the time settings?

I am connected via Ethernet on my main windows ten computer.
I have connected 6 devices. (not all at the same time)

Its driving everyone crazy including BT as the DLM kicks in and reduces speeds. How can I stop these random resets?
Options
2 Reply
Re:TD W9980 v1 Random loss of internet and resets itself
2015-11-01 02:17:37
Honestly the only solution I can give you is either try a firmware update or get a new router. It's possible there is a hardware fault. Sounds like the kernel is critically crashing and forcing a reboot.
Options
Re:TD W9980 v1 Random loss of internet and resets itself
2015-11-01 19:13:24
Thank Mr Derby

I have no idea what a critical kernal is?
I thought it did have the latest firmware. I only bought this router in August this year

I have submitted a ticket to ask TP Link to send me a different model.

How strange that it wont let me into the web based utility system when I type admin / admin. And no I didn't change the password and even if i did google remembers all my passwords for me
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 832

Replies: 2

Related Articles