Archer c9 - poor read performance from synology NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-17 00:42:22
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I'm getting really slow read performance from my synology NAS which is connected via the archer C9 - the archer C9 is acting as a router and wireless access point, I have another ADSL modem/router from my ISP that provides the internet.

I'm getting reads of about 50% of what I used to get via my old router.

Just to note, write performance is fine, its only the reads which are really slow. This is all via Ethernet, not over wifi.

This is definitely just down to the archer C9 router as I can connect my old router or go direct to the NAS and read and write performance is where I would expect it to be.

HW = Archer C9 v1
Firmware = 4.0.0 Build 20150916 Rel. 37772

Here are a number of things I changed/turned off which made no difference on the C9:
- turned off IGMP proxy
- turned off SPI firewall
- turned off ipv6
- changed duplex to 1000Mbps full duplex (from autonegotiation). I have also tried all other duplex settings, just in case.
- updated NTP settings
- added DNS servers
- DHCP is disabled (DHCP is provided by my ISPs router)

Note - the NAS is set to 1000Mbps, full duplex, 1500 MTU. The NAS has a fixed ipaddress.

Any ideas as to why read performance would be so slow and yet write performance is fine?

Thanks
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer c9 - poor read performance from synology NAS
2016-02-22 17:06:16
Hi JFred,

Could you please share how you connected Synology NAS to Archer C9?

I cannot see my NAS over Archer C9 at all, (But with Asus router worked fine)
Options
Re:Archer c9 - poor read performance from synology NAS
2020-08-25 16:01:14 - last edited 2020-08-25 19:30:44

@JFred 

Hi,

was your issue ever solved?

I have performance issues with my archer C8 and Synology nas too.

But for me it's not just slow transfer speed but also it slows down the entire traffic that goes through the router. Can't load webpages etc. 
The router from my ISP handles the speed perfectly the issue is again in the tp-link router.

Any ideas please?

EDIT:

The write speed to the nas is about 25MB/s and the read speed is about 33MB/s. When I move larger files then everything starts lagging that goes through the router.

I have now unplugged the nas and my computer from the Archer C8 and connected them to an unmanaged switch.

The switch is then connected to the router with a sigle cable. Now I have 115MB/s write speed.

The switch is an unmanaged Netgear GS105 that "does nothing but splits the cables".

No firewall no dhcp no nothing on it hence the reason it's called unmanaged.

This is a proof that the router is at fault. I guess it is just a terrible hardware and at the time of manufacturing/selling no one complained because no internet connection was fast enouh to notice the problem and not manu people used it to transfer large data over local network.

I'll just buy another router I guess.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1316

Replies: 2

Related Articles