Archer C7(CA) v2.0 - Help! Installed Wrong Firmware, and can't flash correct firmware. Error code: 18005

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7(CA) v2.0 - Help! Installed Wrong Firmware, and can't flash correct firmware. Error code: 18005

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-19 19:38:10
Model : Archer C7(CA) Ver:2.0

Hardware Version : 2.0

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I got my Archer C7 yesterday and updated the firmware, but when went to configure my wireless I couldn't change regions from United States to Canada. Then I realized that I've installed the wrong firmware after checking the model number again on the box, which says Archer C7 (CA) v2.0. I got careless and installed the Archer C7 (US) v2.0: Archer_C7_V2_151014_US. So I went to Canadian webpage of TP-Link, http://www.tplink.ca/en/download/Archer-C7_V2.html#Firmware, and found the correct firmware which appears to be a general English version: Archer_C7_V2_150427. I attempted to flash the correct firmware, but I keep getting, "Error code:18005. Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

List of things I've done to try to correct this issue:
- Rename bin file name to something more simple like "Tplink.bin", or "A.bin". Result: "Error code:18005. Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."
- Rename bin file to the same US file name version: "Archer_C7_V2_151014_US". Result: same error as above.
- Attempted to insert us into the file name of the Canadian version in the same position as in the US version. Ex: ArcherC7v2_en_us_3_14_3_up_boot(150427).bin. Result: Same error as above.

I'm not sure what to do, but this question came to mind afterwards. If it's so picky about the file name then why did it let me install the US firmware version in the first place? Shouldn't it have told me: "Error code:18005. Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."? Kind of ironic, don't you think? :)

Someone or anyone please help. I'm hoping that this can be resolved some how without having me to send this away. Thank you in advance.

P.S. The router appears to be functioning alright with the US firmware version so far. Is it possible that it'll be alright to use the US version in the long run? Based on the results so far I'm assuming that the US v2 and CA v2 hardware is the same, but can anyone confirm whether they are in fact the same?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C7(CA) v2.0 - Help! Installed Wrong Firmware, and can't flash correct firmware. Error code: 18005
2015-12-08 00:23:17
Archer C7 Saudi Arabia Version2:
Hello,
It seems I found myself exactly in the same situation posted above, after flashing the US version on an Archer C7 bought in Saudi Arabia.
I followed the link in the Firmware Update page of the router and downloaded the firmware from that page assuming that the link was forwarding to the a page based on my geographical location.
Unfortunately it wasn't, as I was redirected by default to the US support page.
After rebooting the firmware I noticed that the region could not be changed back to Saudi Arabia.

I should have read better before flashing the router: TRUE.
However, I would kindly recommend TP-LINK to change the firmare upgrade to the following page http://www.tp-link.com/en/choose-your-location.html rather than to the default page (which linked me to US support website).

Any help to restore the firmware for the correct region will be deeply appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,

Databin
Options
Re:Archer C7(CA) v2.0 - Help! Installed Wrong Firmware, and can't flash correct firmware. Error code: 18005
2017-10-18 11:11:12
Curious did you ever find out how to overwrite CA version of firmware back? I'm in the same boat. I noticed the WIFI is very unstable after the router got the US firmware.
Options
2017-10-18 18:21:40
Hi Luowilliam,
There is no way to downgrade the firmware once it has updated to the US version, for the wifi unstable issue , have you tried to change channel and channel width?
How about the wired connection, is that stable. It is suggested to contact the tp-link support for further assistance
Options
2017-10-19 00:15:27

vieldcs wrote

Hi Luowilliam,There is no way to downgrade the firmware once it has updated to the US version, for the wifi unstable issue , have you tried to change channel and channel width?How about the wired connection, is that stable. It is suggested to contact the tp-link support for further assistance
The wired connection looks stable as far as I can tell. How should I change the chancel and width? Just tu random settings?Thanks,Will
Options
2017-10-20 05:58:56
Had the same problem, and discussed in this thread:
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?100834-Erroneously-installed-EU-firmware-version-now-can-t-install-correct-US-upgrades

There are two YouTube tutorials there, and following the instructions, I was able to "unbrick" C7 router stuck with EU firmware and Error 18005 whenever I tried to upgrade or downgrade firmware. Believe me, using the TFTP method is a life-saver for bollocked routers!
Options
2017-10-21 10:44:51

the_hamster wrote

Had the same problem, and discussed in this thread:
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?100834-Erroneously-installed-EU-firmware-version-now-can-t-install-correct-US-upgrades

There are two YouTube tutorials there, and following the instructions, I was able to "unbrick" C7 router stuck with EU firmware and Error 18005 whenever I tried to upgrade or downgrade firmware. Believe me, using the TFTP method is a life-saver for bollocked routers!

Thank you so much! This worked!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2826

Replies: 6