TL-WR1043ND limited wired speed.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-29 16:05:30
Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 3.17.38 Build 140613 Rel.55867n

ISP : Ziggo

Hello

So I got this router this weekend and I've just set it up. But with a speed-test on Speedtest.net I quickly noticed the speed was limited.
I'm supposed to be able to get like 180Mbps from my provider, although the highest speed I've had with my previous router was about 98Mbps.
But with this TP-Link I'm only getting speeds of anywhere between 20-30Mbps.

I've purchased this router to try and get better WiFi-range than my previous Netgear-router, and although the WiFi seems to be somewhat stronger the speeds are disappointing.
I will say that the WiFi-speed is about double of the wired speeds, which is ironic, but even thát isn't much better.

In any case; What could it be that is holding back the speeds? I've simply disconnected the Netgear-router, let the modem reconnect,
then connected the TP-Link with the same cables, went through all the settings and didn't change all that much.

I also already have the latest Firmware, by the way. ( TL-WR1043ND_V2_130925)

I don't really know what else to do. I've looked through the settings in the router over and over, and I couldn't find much through Google either.
Most results are quickly about alternative software anyway.

I've also read in reviews that occasionally there will be a "slowpoke" among these models. Could it be I have one of those, or is that not a thing?

Thanks for reading, and please let me know how I could fix this.

EDIT

OK, scrap almost all of that. I've found more or less what the issue was:

For years I've had my ethernet-connection sent through a plugbox, which is one by AEG that provides power and also has overload and disturbance protection and all that.
It also has an in/out for network-cables. I'm not sure why, but in any case I simply started using it cause I thought it couldn't hurt. And I thought wrong...
Turns out that with my previous Netgear-router it limited the speed to just under 100Mbit, and for some reason with the TP-Link it limited the speed to about 30Mbit.
So now I moved some furniture and dug out some wires and plugged the cable that comes out of the router directly into the motherboard (taking the AEG plug-box out of the loop) and it zoomed up to 203Mbps.

That's my stupid mistake, although also AEG's stupid mistake, because that plugbox wasn't cheap, and I'm guessing it has like "true Category 5" wiring inside causing it not to go beyond 100Mbps.
However, it's still a mystery to me why it would only go to about 30Mbps with the TP-Link router instead of nearly 100Mbps with the (even older) Netgear-router.
Would this just be an incompatibility-issue, completely destroying the speed or something?... You would think the result would be the same...

Here you can see the plugbox I meant, by the way: https://www.aegps.com/en/it-resellers/surge-protectors/protect-office/
The description says "data-line protection for network cable (RJ45)". I don't know what kind of protection it offers, if it's not some b.s. description.
But in any case it seems to actually disturb the speed. They also don't even mention what the "throughput" or supported speed is. Really weird.
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WR1043ND limited wired speed.
2015-12-01 16:51:12
Try with the last firmware http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/soft/TL-WR1043ND_V2_150910.zip">TL-WR1043ND_V2_150910[URL="http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/soft/TL-WR1043ND_V2_150910.zip
Options
2015-12-01 17:19:53
Yea... Seems like I DON'T have the latest firmware. I don't know why I said I DID... I must have been confused at that point.
The speed isn't an issue anymore, by the way, but I'll try to upgrade anyway. "Can't hurt.", right? LOL
Options
2020-08-08 13:29:55
Did you tried it?
Options