Can the extender be used as a "bridge" only -- i.e., can the "repeating" operation be disabled?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can the extender be used as a "bridge" only -- i.e., can the "repeating" operation be disabled?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-06 03:27:17
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I own a TL-WA850RE repeater (v.1.2) and it works great, however, the fact that it basically halves my wifi download speed has made me unplug it. However, its the ethernet door was very useful, because I have a network music player (an old Squeezebox) that has no wireless connection - it needs to be connected via cable.

So, I was wondering: is there a way to configure the extender to not "repeat" the wireless connection, that is, using it only as a network bridge of the existing WLAN? I'm imagining something like the extender functioning like a "receptor" instead os a "repeater", not allowing any wifi devices to log into it but transmitting the network signal to a device connected to its ethernet port.

Thanks in advance,

//Ricardo
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can the extender be used as a "bridge" only -- i.e., can the "repeating" operation be disabled?
2015-12-10 17:33:15
TL-WA850RE can't do this, I'm afraid. As I know, the dual band range extender can do this as they have the high speed mode, which can use one band to bridge the wifi and the other band to connect the router.
Options
Re:Can the extender be used as a "bridge" only -- i.e., can the "repeating" operation be disabled?
2015-12-11 05:01:11

Alan12 wrote

TL-WA850RE can't do this, I'm afraid. As I know, the dual band range extender can do this as they have the high speed mode, which can use one band to bridge the wifi and the other band to connect the router.

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of that...

Another idea; What if I get a way to connect it via Ethernet to the network. Can I configure the repeater to work as a wired access point? And does that solution prevents the annoying phenomenon of the download speed being halved?

Best regards and thanks for your attention,

//Ricardo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8611

Replies: 2