Archer C9 - Disable WAN - Help, Suggestions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-02 18:48:16
Model : Archer C9

Hardware Version : v1

Firmware Version : 4.0.0 Build 20150916 Rel. 37772

Got a Archer C9, already had a TP-Link DSL modem for last 4 years which is serving me well, but am a bit disappointed by the lack of configurations and features in this router.
The advanced tab is anything but advanced, even the DSL modem has more whistles and bells while this router costs 10 times more.

Some must have features that are missing from this router:
1. WAN Disable option:
Internet connection via PPPoE on this router lacks the status details, like we have in TPLINK modems Device Info / Status page,
so im still using my TPLINK DSL modem for PPPoE and its IP set as gateway on Archer C9. Only bad thing with this method is that Archer C9 is totally unaware of a working Internet connection in the network, it still shows RED cross as warning in Internet status on the Archer C9 Status page (as WAN is unplugged) and also no BLUE LED for working internet connection, all this can be fixed by having a "Disable" option in the Internet Connection from WAN dropdown and auto detecting the set gateway as a good Internet connection.
2. Detailed status page, specially for PPPoE.
3. WAN port as LAN when disabled, not sure if this is possible on this router but i have done this with my ASUS[COLOR=#000000] RTN13U
with DDWRT. (1 more LAN is better then keeping WAN port unplugged and unusable)
4. Time based wifi scheduling

There are many other improvements required, but i would be happy with just this much and im sure it will help many other too.

If anyone has better way to do this or ideas please share.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C9 - Disable WAN - Help, Suggestions
2016-01-03 06:56:29
Flash it with DD-WRT. It has everything you want (disable WAN, use WAN as LAN, wifi scheduling, super detailed PPPoE status and diagnostics, etc.).

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/12-24-2015-r28598/tplink_archer-c9v1/

-Jamie M.
Options
2016-01-03 16:58:48
Yes, thats the first thing that came to my mind, its brand new so was wary and DDWRT firmware is still in beta.
wld i be able to revert to the original version if need be?
Options
2016-01-04 06:18:52

shivam wrote

Yes, thats the first thing that came to my mind, its brand new so was wary and DDWRT firmware is still in beta.
wld i be able to revert to the original version if need be?
I don't think it's very easy to revert at this point in time.

-Jamie M.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1479

Replies: 3