Possible to bridge one ethernet port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-03 21:30:56
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've been searching for an answer to this question and it might be that i'm not using the right lingo. With that said i'll hope i will be able to make sense.

Problem:

I have a 250/100 Mbit/s connection and tv subscription from my ISP. I have a ethernet port in my hallway. A Zyxel router (provided by my ISP) is connected to the ethernet port in the hallway. The tv set-top box is required to be connected to the router with ethernet cable but otherwise all my units (computers, tv, cell phones) are connected with wifi. I'm getting rid of the Zyxel router provided by my ISP due to the fact that they have disabled the possibility to set up the router through the user interface. And the plan is to get myself a new router. Preferably an Archer C7 as i'm accustomed to TP-Link routers since 7-8 years.

According to the ISP support there is a couple of options. First option is that my ISP bridges the Zyxel and i still have my set-top box connected to it and use a Archer C7. Second option is that support told me that Ethernet port - Switch - Set-top box in one of the switch ports and Archer C7 in another switch port would work. I dont like any of these options due to practical reasons.

Support also told me that some routers allows only specific lan ports to be bridged. And that's what im wondering, is it possible to bridge a single Eth. port on the Archer C7 in order to connect the set-top box to that port? I've browsed through the simulated Archer C7 user interface but can't seem to find any setting related to that.

/#LOUDmouth#
Options
2 Reply
Re:Possible to bridge one ethernet port?
2016-01-04 06:23:25
With the stock firmware it's not possible.

-Jamie M.
Options
Re:Possible to bridge one ethernet port?
2016-01-11 14:01:07
If only TV set-top box uses wired connection, what are the practicality issues?

It seems like you would be adding TP-link router, giving you additional desired functionality, to your topography.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1218

Replies: 2

Related Articles