Web interface access - Archer C7 - IPv6 issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-29 06:06:40
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just bought an Archer C7, which I've set up as an AP. This works fine - devices can connect to it and access the internet through my ISP-provided fibre modem / router. I've done all the usual stuff - disabled DHCP on the C7, assigned it a static IP in my ISP-router's domain and outside of its DHCP range, and connected it to the network via the LAN1 port. I initially changed the C7's settings using a wireless connection to it from a tablet.

The only thing that doesn't work is that I cannot access the C7's web interface on any device. The C7 shows up on the web interface for the ISP router with the assigned IP address (192.168.178.204) which is outside the DHCP range for that router (20-200). However, I cannot access the web interface using this IP address. The ISP router also gives an IPv6 address for the C7 (fe80::62e3:27ff:feaf:b302) but I'm not sure if the web interface can be accessed through this? Both the ISP router and the C7 are configured to allow IPv6 addresses.

I have another AP on the network (at 192.168.178.201) which works fine and I can access its interface via this IP address. It does not support IPv6, however. I've had several other APs on the network in the past, all of which have been IPv4 only, and all of which have worked as expected.

One other point that may be relevant is that I have a NetGear switch between the ISP-router and everything else. This isn't set up to do anything clever - it just connects one of the two LAN ports on the ISP router to 24 (I think) network sockets around my house. The C7 is plugged into one of these. The other LAN port on the ISP router is not connected to anything.

Any help / ideas appreciated.

Cheers, Ian
Options
4 Reply
Re:Web interface access - Archer C7 - IPv6 issue?
2016-01-29 17:22:01
The IPv6 address you stated for the C7, looks more like a link-local ipv6 address.

Are all your subnets the same for each router/access point?
Are the IP addresses assigned to each AP or have you also set them up manually within each interface?

Can you connect to C7 via wifi or lan and get IP from main router?
Options
2016-01-31 03:50:19
Thanks Almaretto,

To be honest, I don't know much about IPv6. Everything is on the same IPv4 subnet. The IPv6 settings on my main router are the defaults. It is set to "Assign unique local addresses (ULA) as long as no IPv6 connection exists (recommended)" and the DHCPv6 server is enabled with the option "Only assign DNS server". There are options to set the ULA prefix manually (unchecked) and the other options for DHCPv6 are "Assign DNS server and IPv6 prefix (IA_PD)" and "Assign DNS server, prefix (IA_PD) and IPv6 address (IA_NA)".

I set up fixed IPv4's for each AP on the AP itself. I've not done anything on the AP regarding IPv6 addresses.

I have several devices connected to the network wirelessly via the C7, and they all get an IPv4 address (via DHCP) from the main router. None of them can show the web interface for the C7, however. I also tried connected a PC to the C7 over LAN. It connects fine, but still can't show the web interface. The only place I can see the C7 (apart from through the SSIDs it broadcasts) is on the web interface of the main router, which is where I got the IPv6 address from.

BTW, I notice that the IPv6 address assigned to the C7 (fe80::62e3:27ff:feaf:b302) does not have the same prefix as shown on the main routers IPv6 settings page (fd00::9ec7:a6ff:fe1c:e8ff/64). This page also says "If no IPv6 Internet connection is active, FRITZ!Box can assign unique local addresses (ULA) to local network devices so that they can communicate with each other." (FRITZ!Box is my main router). The main router appears to be connected to the internet by both IPv4 (at 111.69.114.42) and IPv6 (at 2406:e000:a4e8::/48).

I guess I need to do some reading about IPv6.

Cheers, Ian
Options
2016-02-28 10:22:28
For the record, an update on this issue.

I set my ISP router to assign ULAs, but that made no difference. I could find no way to get to the web interface for the C7, so I did a factory reset, and went through the process of setting it up as an AP again. The only difference (that I know of) compared to what I did before is that the ISP router was still set to assign ULAs. This time, everything worked as expected. The C7 has the same IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as before, but now the web interface is accessible from through its assigned IPv4 address. I've no idea why it wasn't working previously.
Options
2016-02-29 08:55:47
Sometimes I just take the win when things work out, even though I am not sure what I did.

I am far from an expert on ipv6, I just know that when I have had addresses like "fe80::ddd2...." they have been ipv6 link-local as opposed to 206:e000.5f..."
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1413

Replies: 4