RE200 extender password / hide devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-02-01 18:48:19
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, I can't solve 2 things on this fabolous extender RE200 (latest firmware):

1) Is possible to have a different password for the extender? I don't want guest using my network to know the password of my main wifi network.

Now is WIFI "OFFICE" / Passw 1234567 - WIFI "EXT" / same password.... I would have a different EXT password

2) Is possible that just the RE200 figures in the list of the connected devices of the WIFI "OFFICE" (while now, I see RE200, ipad1, iphone1, iphone2.....and I would just see RE200)

Many thanks for any solution or idea. :)
Dario
Options
6 Reply
Re:RE200 extender password / hide devices
2016-02-03 17:10:31
For the first point, impossible. The other point, it seems impossible too.
Options
2016-02-03 17:43:01
:rolleyes: unbelievable...

I was using an HooToo HT01 (25$) that offers these options but it's a travel device and has a battery inside so I don't feel safe to leave it always powered...

Maybe in one of the next firmware TP-Link will add these very dumb things??? :rolleyes:
Options
Disappointing
2017-02-09 01:36:19

dario wrote

Model :

Hello, I can't solve 2 things on this fabolous extender RE200 (latest firmware):

1) Is possible to have a different password for the extender? I don't want guest using my network to know the password of my main wifi network.

Now is WIFI "OFFICE" / Passw 1234567 - WIFI "EXT" / same password.... I would have a different EXT password

Damn, I bought this device thinking "of course they would allow this kind of config"... man am I ever disappointed that it's not possible. It's crazy because you can change the SSID... it would be so simple for them to add the option to change the password to the firmware as well.

My goal was to use the RE200 for travel. I want to be able to plug this in, connect to it, then configure it to connect to whatever access point/router is available to me (hostel, hotel, friend's place, etc). This way I don't have to configure 5 different devices with the same SSID/Password combo manually; I just configure the RE200 and I'm all set. It would be a great selling feature for the device as well.... all by adding one simple feature!

And to make matters worse, as far as I can tell none of the open source firmwares work on this (Tomato or DD-WRT would have solved this problem if they were compatible).

Given the incredible limitations of their firmware, I'm actually surprised that TP-Link doesn't simply make use of Tomato or DD-WRT as their stock firmware like Buffalo does with their routers. Or at least open up SSH access to advanced users to configure as they see fit.
Options
2017-04-01 13:31:30
jas8522 did you ever find a solution? This is EXACTLY the use case I was expecting, making my own purchase useless for me. If I have to configure all my devices individually, I might as well have them connect directly to the hotel wifi and save the luggage space, lol. It seems like this must be something easily configurable from an SSH connection, but I can't figure out how to get on the device.
Options
2017-04-03 02:55:48

jasonwu wrote

jas8522 did you ever find a solution? This is EXACTLY the use case I was expecting, making my own purchase useless for me. If I have to configure all my devices individually, I might as well have them connect directly to the hotel wifi and save the luggage space, lol. It seems like this must be something easily configurable from an SSH connection, but I can't figure out how to get on the device.
Nope. Had to leave this at the place I was staying longest since it was kinda useless in the above mentioned function. Going to buy another device that does what we both want. Definitely not a TP-Link device after this experience with their supremely limited firmware.
Options
2017-04-03 03:57:45

jas8522 wrote

And to make matters worse, as far as I can tell none of the open source firmwares work on this (Tomato or DD-WRT would have solved this problem if they were compatible).

Given the incredible limitations of their firmware, I'm actually surprised that TP-Link doesn't simply make use of Tomato or DD-WRT as their stock firmware like Buffalo does with their routers. Or at least open up SSH access to advanced users to configure as they see fit.

This was the closest I could find on any sort of user hacking, shows serial pads and a UBoot/U-Boot readout: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/re200.

TP-Link products might all be "locked down": http://ml.ninux.org/pipermail/battlemesh/2016-February/004379.html.

I'm sure someone out there could do it, but how many people are using an RE200 anyways? Probably not a hugely attractive project, I'm guessing. I could be wrong.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1430

Replies: 6