Dual Band Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dual Band Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Dual Band Problem
Dual Band Problem
2016-02-24 09:11:04
Model : Archer C5

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 0.9.1 1.0 v0045.0 Build 150325 Rel.43331n

ISP :

Hi.

I've owned my Archer C5 router for a couple of months now. It's a fantastic router but since buying it I've had a slight problem.

Once a device connected to the 5GHz attempts to download a file (regardless of size), some devices connected to the 2.4GHz will receive a DNS error (such as this: http://www.pcappspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/dns-probe-error.jpg) and will be unable to access the internet until the download on the 5GHz has finished. The problem does not effect all devices on the 2.4GHz connection, with some devices seeing no problem whilst others receive the DNS issue. But, if I disconnect and reconnect the 2.4GHz devices being effected during the 5GHz download, they will reconnect to the internet as if there is no issue. The issue has no preference for device either, with all devices on the 2.4GHz band being effected at random times.

I don't believe the problem is caused by the bandwidth of my connection. I currently have a 50Mbp/s connection, a file download at 5mbp/s will still cause the connection to drop on 2.4GHz devices. I also have bandwidth control configured to ensure that no single device can take over the bandwidth.

Basic configuration of router is:
2.4GHz - b/g/n Mixed, Channel 6, Channel width - Auto.
5GHz - 11a/n/ac Mixed, Channel Auto, Channel width - Auto.
DHCP (All network devices registered. All devices set up to use Google DNS e.g 8.8.8.8 . There are no more than 5 devices on the network at one time)
Bandwidth control (Devices can download max of 25mbp/s, upload max of 2.5mbp/s)

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to help?

Thanks

tl;dr
Download on 5GHz causes some devices on 2.4GHz to lose connection.
I don't know what is wrong or how to fix.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Dual Band Problem
2016-02-25 21:56:49
I have something similar... when another Archer C7 is connected via WDS to my first Wifi router (same model C7 AC1750) then 2.4 GHz performance drops dramatically. Not immediately but after about 30 minutes.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 632

Replies: 1

Related Articles