Returned my VR900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Returned my VR900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Returned my VR900
Returned my VR900
2016-04-18 18:15:35
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've just returned my VR900. Initially I thought it was great except for the somewhat limited options regarding parental controls.

My HH5 had started to reboot and loose connection evrey couple of days. My speeds had gradually dropped from 55meg down to 38meg. I bought the VR900 based on reviews saying it was stable. After installation my speeds went up slightly to 40meg and then because I'd rebooted it multiple times in a day when setting it up I was put on a banded connection capped at 35meg. DLM had seen the reboots as instability on my line.

After an engineer visit and DLM reset the speeds increased up to 60meg but then the disconnects started to happen after a while. BT said it was a fault with my line and after a couple of engineer visits they traced it back to my router. They had checked all my connections and replaced a cable but the problem had supposedly persisted. The line was still faulting. I was asked to plug my HH5 back in and then the line fault cleared. This was obviously strange as my HH5 had been rebooting and loosing connection before which is why i bought the VR900 in the first place.

Two days later and the HH5 has lost connection only once during the night and is giving me 53meg DL and 14meg UL.

I checked with Amazon and I had only one day left before I could return the VR900. So I reluctantly returned it which is a shame because I wanted to give it another go. I still believe there may have been a problem with my line which they fixed during their checks, As my HH5 wasn't working before but now it appears to be fine. As such my VR900 may have been ok.

I'm tempted to go with a DSL-AC68U if not just for the UI and settings options which weren't very good on the VR900. But there are lots of people also complaining about these units. I may give one a go after using the HH5 for a few more days. At least I'll know if the HH5 is working or not. If the HH5 stays stable and the Asus gives me problems, I'll know for sure my Line is fine and I can just return the Asus.

The thing is Amazon have now dropped the price of the VR900 to £99.99. So I'm tempted to try another one just in case. They are refunding me the original £125 I paid so there would be a saving too.

Options
3 Reply
Vr900
2016-04-23 03:46:35
I have just received my 2nd VR900 from Amazon as the first kept dropping out and just not being as quick as what it replaced, which was a TalkTalk SuperRouter HG633. Having connected the 2nd VR900 I fear that it is actually the VR900 being inferior to the TT Router, not just with Speed and reliability, but incredibly with the WiFi range too. The TT is actually superior in all areas to the VR900, unless I have another problem one. Really dissapointed as all the reviews report that the VR900 is the best out there. Unless I am unlucky and have had 2 bad ones, I think this will be going back too. Can't even register my new one online as the serial number is unrecognised by TP. Very unhappy.......
Options
Re:Returned my VR900
2016-04-23 18:14:13
And that's the problem......you never really know whether it's a faulty unit or a faulty model. How many do we need to try in the hope that one will work? To be fair to TP_Link it's not just them. The two competitors for the VR900 are the Asus DSL-AC68U and the Netgear D7000. But if you read the forums and reviews you will find a number of people complaining of instability and loss of connection with these too! Although the majority report no issues at all an a drastic improvement over their ISP issued modem/routers, Can we risk being one of those who end up with a unit that doesn't function properly? Either these modems are very sensitive to line issues and therefore only work on the very best performing connections, or the Quality Control at the factories is not good enough.

Also to be honest, the wireless performance of the VR900 I had was very impressive.

Also, since re-connecting my HH5 on BT Infinity, my connection has been very fast and very stable. I've had a couple of reboots but I think this is part of the DLM re-training the sync rate. It went 5 days between reboots whereas before it was rebooting maybe twice per day. So I do think I had a fault with the line that perhaps made the VR900 appear faulty.
Options
2016-04-24 21:45:57
I have called TalkTalk to make 100% sure it is the router and they have done tests and are now monitoring the line. Even if the line is at fault, the HG633 still outperformed the WiFi range of the VR900 in my experience.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 304

Replies: 3

Related Articles